REALLY not a theme show - Sr side

Now all corps have a "Theme" to their shows. Waaaay back when I marched you had a bunch of songs and never thought to try to connect them. Hard for the marchers of today to believe but there were shows with real strange combinations of songs.

Here is the wierdest combination of songs we had when I marched 74-79.

Alexanders Rag Time Band - arrangement that sounded nothing like what ol' Irving B had in mind

Be Free (drum solo) - Loggins and Messina (70s mellow rock pair)

Granada Smothie (concert) - Stan Kenton jazz 'nuff said

Time Machine - *gag* original song done by Meeco, a techo/disco/dance music slock meister who had a Top 40 hit with a Star Wars medley. This was off his next album of original techo that absolutly tanked. A song that probably no one in the stands ever heard before.

Man of La Mancha/Impossible Dream - Hey lets throw in some show tunes. :P

So to recap: Tin Pan Alley from around 1910/1920, 70s mellow rock, Big band Jazz, Techo/disco and big time Musical. Anyone else do a show with unrelated songs......

1997 LV Chieftains

Birdland

Summer of '42

Hallelujah Chorus

I Dreamed a Dream (from Les Mis)

• 1 month later...

Had to love the 1975 Skyliner show:

OTL - How could you believe me when I said I love you, when you know I've been

a liar all my life. pheew A Jimmy Durante tune.

Color Pres - Hymn from Victory at Sea. Richard Rogers chorale type piece.

Concert - Buddy Rich's version of West Side Story. Not you typical show tune.

Production number - 1st half year Mombo from West Side Story. Again not your

typical show tune.

2nd half year Elks Parade. Can't beat a crowd favorite.

Exit - Give my regards to Broadway/ 42nd Street/Traffic Jam/Little Ole New York

Theme?? Great tunes that fit the style of the corps to a T.

We don't need no stinkin' Themes......

Had to love the 1975 Skyliner show:

OTL - How could you believe me when I said I love you, when you know I've been

a liar all my life.  pheew A Jimmy Durante tune.

Color Pres - Hymn from Victory at Sea.  Richard Rogers chorale type piece.

Concert - Buddy Rich's version of West Side Story.  Not you typical show tune.

Production number - 1st half year Mombo from West Side Story.  Again not your

typical show tune.

2nd half year Elks Parade.  Can't beat a crowd favorite.

Exit - Give my regards to Broadway/ 42nd Street/Traffic Jam/Little Ole New York

Theme?? Great tunes that fit the style of the corps to a T. 

We don't need no stinkin' Themes......

LOL, have a CD of Dream '75 which has "Elks Parade" and tape of Carlisle '75 which has "Mambo". Good idea to change.

And of course Sky won DCA that year...

LOL, have a CD of Dream '75 which has "Elks Parade" and tape of Carlisle '75 which has "Mambo". Good idea to change.

:rolleyes:

Hey Jim:

This 'non theme' thing isn't just old. Some corps just put some kind of 'theme' title to a hodgepodge of tunes that don't really go together..Anything to try and be PC when it comes to the judges.

Personally, I liked the non-theme shows..You could really show some dexterity and contrast without having to try and be too restricted to an artist or title or song type.

Like the '75 Skyliners! Nothin' beats Elk's Parade, 'cept maybe'Flamenco'.

Pat

:P

Would love a copy of either of those shows... Dream was the first time we did Elks in the show that year. When the crowd heard the drum opening it went nuts! I have a copy of the Boston show in June with Mambo, and I have to agree it was a good change. I don't think we would have won DCA with out the change. But listening to the DCA recording vs the Boston one, the entire show was performed better by the end of the year, so maybe it wouldn't have made the difference. Either way, I was happy as a pig in mud to win DCA!! We did it for us and we did it for Lefty that night in Rochester, and I will never forget it......

:rolleyes:

Hey Jim:

This 'non theme' thing isn't just old.  Some corps just put some kind of 'theme' title to a hodgepodge of tunes that don't really go together..Anything to try and be PC when it comes to the judges.

Personally, I liked the non-theme shows..You could really show some dexterity and contrast without having to try and be too restricted to an artist or title or song type.

Like the '75 Skyliners!  Nothin' beats Elk's Parade, 'cept maybe'Flamenco'.

Pat

And 'Flamenco Cha-Cha' was arranged for the Cabs by Skyliner Joe Genero back in '62, I believe.

Ray

:P

Would love a copy of either of those shows... Dream was the first time we did Elks in the show that year.  When the crowd heard the drum opening it went nuts!  I have a copy of the Boston show in June with Mambo, and I have to agree it was a good change.  I don't think we would have won DCA with out the change.  But listening to the DCA recording vs the Boston one, the entire show was performed better by the end of the year, so maybe it wouldn't have made the difference.  Either way, I was happy as a pig in mud to win DCA!! We did it for us and we did it for Lefty that night in Rochester, and I will never forget it......

Kevin,

Dropping 'Mambo' and bringing back 'Elk's' was the smart move that year. And if I remember correctly, we WERE happy as pigs in mud; a lot of mud. No retreat, not even dms because of the thunderstorms! That parking lot at Hollender Stadium was literally a sea of mud and water. But the storm didn't stop the party.

Ray

1975 must have been the year to change the show. A friend reminded me that the Yankee Rebels started the year with Maynards "Gospel John" as ther concert. He had a tape of it from the Mount Carmel exhibition show but lost it over the years. Might have been the only time they used it before going to "Purlie(?)" from the year before.