Imprint of tuba mouthpiece

corpsnewbie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, a product I've used many times and really like is Carmex, it works wonders for chapped lips to sores, whatever, I know this, because I'm allergic t ometal mouthpieces, highly allergic, last time I used a metal tuba mouthpiece, my mouth blew up to like 3 times its normal size, not fun...along with the swelling came sores lot's of 'em...couldn't eat for weeks...I use a Kellyberg 18 Polycarbon mouthpiece, check them out on WWBW, they have some good reviews...and I like 'em...they come in 18 colors :P

well, a product I've used many times and really like is Carmex, it works wonders for chapped lips to sores, whatever, I know this, because I'm allergic t ometal mouthpieces, highly allergic, last time I used a metal tuba mouthpiece, my mouth blew up to like 3 times its normal size, not fun...along with the swelling came sores lot's of 'em...couldn't eat for weeks...I use a Kellyberg 18 Polycarbon mouthpiece, check them out on WWBW, they have some good reviews...and I like 'em...they come in 18 colors :P

Carmex is highly discouraged. It has high levels of camphor, a chemical which in those amounts over a period of time, breaks down the muscles in your embouchere. There is a little bit in DCT, the recommended lip balm for drum corps, as there should be a little bit of breaking down after a long day of playing (plus it has SPF, very important) but that much isn't very good for you, and can become addicting over time, actually leading to lips that dry out faster, at least in my understanding. In short, don't use Carmex, especially on tour; in my experience, DCT from Blistex is the best stuff, and many brass players in and out of drum corps have echoed those sentiments.

Carmex hasn't hurt me at all...actually, during my last reaction, I had to keep my lips moist with Vaseline...had a thing of it in my pocket at all times...not to mention, I don't sunburn...anywhere...after band camp I look like a Mexican...

Edited by luthen

• 2 weeks later...

Less pressure, bigger buzz

Edited by Russell

• 2 weeks later...
Carmex hasn't hurt me at all...actually, during my last reaction, I had to keep my lips moist with Vaseline...had a thing of it in my pocket at all times...not to mention, I don't sunburn...anywhere...after band camp I look like a Mexican...

That's why you shouldn't use it; Carmex, and specifically the high amounts of camphor in it, prevent your lips from naturally moistening like they're supposed to, along with the issues with muscles breaking down.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are worse things then just a red mark. try a black mark lol. if you where make up and play tuba the metal reacts to the foundation and causes it to turn black lol so yeah ive gone form band class with a black ring around my mouth. kindof embarassing but not really lol it simply wipes off