Adapter problems.

Mellojaphoney

Okay. So I finally bought a new mouthpiece. I got a Bach 3CFL. My problem is I play on a yamaha mellophone. And The shank on the mouthpiece is too narrow to fit correctly into the lead pipe, and it's too large to fit in my adapter. My adapter is used for a french horn mouthpiece, so My question is... Are there different adapters for various mouthpieces? And If so, what would work? I'm really getting frustrated with my mouthpiece luck lately. anyways. anything would be helpful.

Okay.  So I finally bought a new mouthpiece.  I got a Bach 3CFL.  My problem is I play on a yamaha mellophone.  And The shank on the mouthpiece is too narrow to fit correctly into the lead pipe, and it's too large to fit in my adapter.  My adapter is used for a french horn mouthpiece, so My question is... Are there different adapters for various mouthpieces?  And If so, what would work?  I'm really getting frustrated with my mouthpiece luck lately.  anyways.  anything would be helpful.

What you have is Bach 3c mouthpiece with a flugelhorn shank(indicated by the FL). Bob Reeves http://www.bobreeves.com/products/pricing/...ing_content.htm sells an adaptor that will work but it costs $32.50. You may as well invest in a Bach 3C. Giardinelli.com has them for $28.99

http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/g=home/sea...ase_pid/462970/

The only thing a Bach 3C flugel and 3C trumpet have in common is the rim. It is a completely different shank and cup. A 3C flugel has the same rim diameter and contour but a flugel cup and shank. It is so 3C trumpet players can double on flugel easier.

IMHO A 3C trumpet piece on a flugel makes for thin, bright, non-mello tone. Okay for the stratasphere, but that is not where mellos belong anyhow. But that is a whole other thread.......

Mellojaphoney, Oops. I guess I didn't respond to your PM in time. That shank adapter might work, but you could still get some turbulence under some circumstances. See my message for details.

I wasnt aware the 3C was different. I knew the backbore and shank would be, but I thought the cups were simillar......sorry for the bad info Mellojaphoney.

Since you already have the f-horn mouthpiece adaptor, I would get a Holton XDC f-horn mouthpiece. It is what I use for horn and have all my students use also. It is a deep (Xtra-Deep-Cup) mouthpiece that creates a big fat sound and worked well with the Yamaha mell I played. $25 at Giardinelli.

http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/g=home/sea...l/base_id/97787