WGI Rules

tenorboy97

http://www.wgi.org/news/files/2005_PAB_PRO...LS_RESULTS5.pdf

They are to allow all international independant lines to have no age limit competeing agenst the 22 and under US lines!? does this mean that there could be an allstar line from canada? If so anyone want to start a line from Canada and make WGI change the rules for good so they are similar to the guard rules? And why was the rule for eliminating the agelimit withdrawn? Perplexed and looking for answers...

Edited by tenorboy97

http://www.wgi.org/news/files/2005_PAB_PRO...LS_RESULTS5.pdf

They are to allow all international independant lines to have no age limit competeing agenst the 22 and under US lines!?  does this mean that there could be an allstar line from canada?  If so anyone want to start a line from Canada and make WGI change the rules for good so they are similar to the guard rules?  And why was the rule for eliminating the agelimit withdrawn?  Perplexed and looking for answers...

As someone who attended the WGI advisory board meetings, I wouldn't expect the age limit to be removed from percussion anytime soon. The reason for the rule change was to help encourage more participation from international groups that allow over age members due to differences in their culture or education system. The decision to make it all Non US groups instead of non North American groups was more or less decided because there currently are no Canadian groups that attend WGI Finals.

If a bunch of Canadian groups pop up with aged out US members, I'm sure WGI will take the necessary steps to prevent that from happening. I hope everyone respects the spirit of the rule that was established.

I think it should go to the same rules as the guard. Personal opinion here but whats the problem with having a venue for all age people to compete and have fun with indoor?!?! I say we all create a canadian line, kick arse and really put some heat on the board to switch it to an all age venue from now on. Whos with me?!?!

I think it should go to the same rules as the guard.  Personal opinion here but whats the problem with having a venue for all age people to compete and have fun with indoor?!?!  I say we all create a canadian line, kick arse and really put some heat on the board to switch it to an all age venue from now on.  Whos with me?!?!

I think the general intent of WGI is to remain a youth activty in the same way as DCI is a youth activity. Certain concessions were made for international groups simply because their music education systems are vastly different than what occurs in the US. Many countries do not have any type of formal music education in their schools system.

Aimachi from Japan is actually a religious group. To my knowledge all members of that group are members of that church and that is how they receive their musical education. Obviously a church is not limited to certain age ranges like the American school systems are.

There are many people involved with the WGI percussion side that feel eliminating the age limt would be detrimental to to the activity. Even though it is a stereotype, there is a certain truth that drummers don't want to "grow up" and "move on with their lives" so to speak. Don't get me wrong. I'm 28 years old and would love to march again but if everyone continued to march, then there would be less quality instructors in the activity.

From what I have been told, the reason WGI eliminated the age limit for color guards was due to the fact that they were experiencing a decline in their activity among the amount of performers and groups competing. The WGI percussion side is continually growing year by year and really has no reason to change their rules to be like the color guard side.

The decision to make it all Non US groups instead of non North American groups was more or less decided because there currently are no Canadian groups that attend WGI Finals.

That's not neccessarily true. The Pacificaires from the Vancouver, B.C. area of Canada compete every year at WGI World Champs. They haven't made it to the finals yet, but they still attend every year. I'm on an Independant A guard that is their rival at nearly every competition here in the Pacific Northwest, and if their members are over 22, that isn't fair to me at all! (I'm 20 and plan on staying in for the next two years). If, when I reach 22, I have to be forced to move to find and audition for an IW guard (which is nearly impossible as I am in the military and Northern Lights is only accepting males anyway) and then the girls in Pacificaires can stay in merely because of this new rule, how does that even out the competition floor? To me, personally, this is total BS! Did they even take into consideration the guards in this area that this would be completely unfair to us? I know that I have pretty much no say in the matter, but I feel like I am basically getting told, "You have to quit in two year, but see those girls over there? There's no age-out limit for them." Whatever, I don't make the rules, I guess. I just have to live by them. <**>

That's not neccessarily true. The Pacificaires from the Vancouver, B.C. area of Canada compete every year at WGI World Champs. They haven't made it to the finals yet, but they still attend every year. I'm on an Independant A guard that is their rival at nearly every competition here in the Pacific Northwest, and if their members are over 22, that isn't fair to me at all! (I'm 20 and plan on staying in for the next two years). If, when I reach 22, I have to be forced to move to find and audition for an IW guard (which is nearly impossible as I am in the military and Northern Lights is only accepting males anyway) and then the girls in Pacificaires can stay in merely because of this new rule, how does that even out the competition floor? To me, personally, this is total BS! Did they even take into consideration the guards in this area that this would be completely unfair to us? I know that I have pretty much no say in the matter, but I feel like I am basically getting told, "You have to quit in two year, but see those girls over there? There's no age-out limit for them." Whatever, I don't make the rules, I guess. I just have to live by them.  <**>

Just to clarify. This rule change is for percussion only. It has no bearing on color guards whatsoever. WGI color guards have completely different sets of rules than the percussion area. At WGI percussion finals, there were no Canadian groups. I may be wrong but I believe that the last time a Canadian group attended WGI percussion finals was in 2002.

Ohhhhhh!! Sorry about freaking out like that, I thought you meant winter guard, not percussion. I was about to get really angry, because that rule sounded ridiculous! Anyways, now I understand why they made it.