braces coming off

Citations Contra

i've had braces for around three years. and i've been playing brass (contra) for less than that. so i've always played with braces on. however, in a week the braces are coming off, just in time for the camp one week before our first show. (it was either that friday or the one the day before the show, not much of a choice). i would like to know as much as any of you guys want to share about how it will affect my playing, specifically what things will change, and what i can do to fix it. additionally, once i get used to having no metal in my mouth, i'm going to head to a local music store to check out mouthpieces. i have no clue about what specific dimensions of a mouthpiece do to affect sound, volume, and everything else that comes through the horn. if anyone would like to just give a general description of that, what things i should look for in a mouthpiece, and any general tips for more volume, especially in the very bottom range of the horn. thanks guys.

I would say to get your braces off the week before the show. It will give your lips some time to get used to playing without the braces. Don't try to blow your mouthpiece out the other end of your horn.

I'd talk to your brass instructor on how to proceed.

As the saying goes... easy does it!!! :sshh: :D :blink::wall:

Edited by ODBC

Congrats! For me it meant barely making the Blue Devils. After the braces came off the improvment was dramatic and instant. All in all it culminated in a DCI championship and a high horn trophy! Oh yeah, and my teeth were straight :blink: . Look at it as a gift to teach you not to play with too much pressure. I'd give yourself the week before a show.

Good luck.

Edited by dugada

the appointment is already set at a week before the show, i didnt think it would be a good idea to do that right before playing a competition. do you have any specific things that getting your braces off changed that you could tell me about? i will talk to my instructor, but i would also like to get some information from some other contra players that experienced removal of braces.