Brass Ablaze org meets up in Cali

Brass Ablaze organization drum corps have swept the hearts of their fans from the Pacific Northwest but it's time they must leave. Tonight is an off night but you can bet your liver that these kids won't be doing a lot of hanging around. The division 1 corp is staying at a church tonight near San Fransisco where they've been drawing quite a croud from the local neighbors who have been watching them practice in the parking lot all morning.

Meanwhile the division 2 and 3 corps have been traveling all night from Spokane, WA and are said to have taken a pitstop in Oregon early this moring for some much deserved IHOP breakfast. The idea today is to get the kids used to sleeping on the bus, because they will need to do it a lot in the coming months. They expect to arive in Sunnyvale, CA early this afternoon where they will meet up with their corp director for a few days of cleanup and expected show changes.

The A Corp is continuting to polish their show today and tomorrow and performs tomorrow night in San Fransisco then takes off that night to Sunnyvale to meet up with the other corps. 3 of the corps will then be performing in Sunnyvale friday evening which is expected to draw a nice sized crowd. The B and C corps directors have been in constant contact with the organization director during the last few days and are expected to undergo some changes to their shows during practices before their next performace on Friday.

Rainy City Sound (RCS), however, does not have another performance until saturday night in Fresno and is expected to forcus not on changes to the show but on fundamentals and basics. RCS has sadly been looked at as somewhat of the ugly duckling of the organization because they made up of mostly of tryouts who didn't make the cut in the other corps. RCS has regularly been putting up the lowest scores in each competition and is statistically the lowest ranked division 3 corp at this time.

"The thing you have to remember about RCS is we came into the season with a disadvantage," said Benjamin Goodman, Assistant Director, "Because we are essentially made up of cut players and alternates, we didn't really get a chance to get the full group together to start learning the show until very late in the spring. Additionally we ended up with a few late cuts that couldn't hack it and the loss of a bass player who was sent up to another corp to replace an injured member. So weended up not having our ideal number of members in each section and overall RCS is about 2/3 the size of Brass Ablaze C. Considering all of that, I'm thrilled with what we have been able to accomplish in such a short time with these kids and with the smaller numbers, it actually makes it much easier to practice and stay focused. The kids are learning so much and they are improving every day. You can't look at the scores, you have to focus on the show and look at how much we have accomplished and learned. The kids are staying positive and having a good time and I think the crowds are enjoying them as well and that's all that matters." Mr. Goodman directs Rainy City Sound and is also the brass and visual caption head for the group. I look forward to hearing and seeing them on Saturday and seeing the progress they have made.

When is the next time Tri-Color will see Brass Ablaze "A"? I can't remember, and I don't have my calender pulled up. We are now back in California ourselves, but are attending the Sonoma show this evening.

We compete against Ohio Valley Thunder, Golden Knights, Old North Regiment, Mesa Mauraders, coldfusion and Blue Angels, with Raincross in Division 3.

This will definitely be a stiff competition tonight, considering we are just fractions away from them. colfusion, Golden Legion, and Old North Regiment are all within our reach! I'm gonna be excited to see the show tonight. Ohio Valley Thunder has made a big trip to CA, so I know they will do well this evening!

The Old North Regiment has been keeping an eye on both of you. Since the closeness in our scores has given the kids an edge to work harder, we thank you. Have a good show tonight tri-color.

We would also like to wish the Brass Ablaze corps good luck as we will see you in both Sunnyvale and Fresno. Continue to have a good season.