Phantom Regiment Rehearsal--Ogden, UT

Since this was the only drum corps that the state of Utah is going to see this year, a group of drum corps junkie friends and I drove to Ogden to watch their nearly all-day rehearsal. The setting was Weber State University's stadium; apparently some alumni of the university got the stadium for PR if PR would let them record the whole thing. Great stadium for drum corps!

HORNLINE: All I can say is that they are loud. Yes, this was the first taste of drum corps that I have had all year, but they will continue to get louder I am sure. Though I didn't hear the contra's as well as I normally can, but i am sure it will come. When i looked at the whole hornline though---PURE POWER. They are doing great.

PERCUSSION: Pit has a lot of fun licks and what not, drum line is getting pretty solid. They had a injuries that sidelined 2 tenor players so hopefully that gets worked out soon. I really enjoyed their intensity.

GAURD/VISUAL: All the girls in the gaurd to FANTASTIC! but this guy that they brought in to play the Gene KElly or whatever part it is.....I don't know so much....I was impressed with his rifle work but that was about it. It honestly looks like they put him in the show last week and he is still trying to figure out what is going on. Just from watching his rehearsal technique---his body language seemed really...not like the phantom regiment---kind of paumpus and arrogant. He has clearly been made the visual star of the show, but I didn't find any significance for him there.

During the ballad, there seems to be some sort of love aspiring or something between he and another girl, but it just didn't seem to work for me. I am guessing that they are going to give him some more work/movement to make him work with the ensemble better overall, but right now; he is distracting.

The show overall is really different for what I am used to seeing them do since as long as I can remember (95)....but it works out really well for them. The ending left me wanting more of course, but I hear that the new tag has already been written. Very professional group of people. I salute them and wish them the best of luck!

How was the reprise in the closer? I haven't bought an apd yet.

Where'd you take that picture from? Rockford? That's some bizarre angle!

:P

HORNLINE: All I can say is that they are loud.  Yes, this was the first taste of drum corps that I have had all year, but they will continue to get louder I am sure.  Though I didn't hear the contra's as well as I normally can, but i am sure it will come.  When i looked at the whole hornline though---PURE POWER.  They are doing great.

I may not be a brass player, but.....

TRUMPETS! Holy crap!

They have a couple of sixteenth-note runs that sounded clearly articulated, clean, and they put those notes right out there for all to hear......definitive communication and clarity.

They will not go down as the FASTEST sixteenth note runs ever, but that just enhances the articulation....I just listened to their first run (less than 90 seconds in), and......gah! :rock:

Edited by sooneralum2001

Yeah, but that seems to be a rather awesome place to rehears/perform.  I can hear the delayed echo off those mountains all the way over here in N.C.

It is a FANTASTIC place to have a show....now if we could just get more drum corps' to come out to UT more often (they used to come for a show and sometimes 2 shows every year), they might be able to witness how awesome it is.

Why is the guard in the center field and the hornline/drumline all the way in the endzone? Are they not rehearsing in this picture, or is t hat how they start the show?

Warmup before ensemble rehearsal

Hornline in one end zone, drums in the other, guard working on something on the field.

G