Belding & Port Huron Review

Well, people have been asking for a review of the Michigan shows, so here goes!!!

My Background: I never marched drum corps but did march 5 years on trumpet in high school, a band that was very success during that time (1992-1997). However, I have been attending drum corps shows since 1993 and have been at World Championships in 1995 and 1999-2004 and will attend this year. These two Michigan shows were my third and fourth shows of this year. I was in Toledo, Ohio and Lisle, Illinois for opening weekend and will be attending a total of 16 shows this summer. :lol::lol:

Seats: Both the Belding and Port Huron fields are very VERY close to the stands. My Belding seat was 50 yard line first row and Port Huron was third row 47 yard line. So I cannot discuss forms and drill at all, but could see the guards and drumlines very well. Plus, there is nothing like brass 10 feet in front of you!!! :lol:

Lineup: Same corps both nights with the exception of Lake Erie Regiment. :)

Weather: It was hot in Belding, I’m talking mid-90’s. No rain at all either nights even though the weather people said it was suppose to rain. Actually, it was clear skies both nights. Much better then last years Belding show in which a standstill was done in a down pour at 50 degrees. I was not at Port Huron last year, but someone mentioned a rain delay last year!! :lol:

Lake Erie Regiment (They were at Belding only): As their score can tell you, they are struggling. The big problem here is their size. However, I give them my thanks for going out there and giving it their all against all the odds. There has to be something that DCI can do to help these small corps, there just has to be. I feel that if nothing is done then they will just all fold. I hope I don’t see the day, because these younger kids have to start somewhere!!!

Blue Stars: This is my surprise corps of the year so far. Their strength is guard and brass. Their weakness right now is dirt in the feet and line control. I know they will pull together and fight for the Division II title. This show is clearly written and being performed at a Division I level, which is what I said about Capital Regiment a few years ago. I hope that Blue Stars make it back to Division I real soon, but baby steps are fine!! :)

Troopers: I think this is the best Troopers corps of this current decade. The thing I think that is holding them back is their size. I just wish they could get some solid numbers. My one complaint about the show is the last 5 minutes or so, they sort of lose me. But it is only June…see you in July and August Troopers!!!

Capital Regiment: This corps has been at every show I have been at, and the program is coming along. I LOVE the music in the closer, which I hear was added the morning of the Belding show, my applause on that effort!! I hope this corps makes a move once the guard work is done. I think only 45% of it looks done, plus those can’t be their guard outfits can they?? :huh:

Colts: This corps wants back in finals, big time!! Not much else to say, you have to see it for yourself. Their show will not keep them out of finals, but I am afraid for them that the other corps will. I however hope they do make it because I like the corps and show so much that I bought a Colts polo shirt!! :lol:

Blue Knights: They are fighting tooth and nail right now with the Colts, and it might continue all the way until finals week!! I also enjoy this show, and am glad to see they turned down their amps from last year!! Their guard is great, and may I say, the best looking of the night (the females anyways!! :rock:) They will be in the finals fight all year.

Madison Scouts: THEY’RE BACK!!!!!!! This show has Madison written all over it, without forcing it like they did last year, IMO. I love the red taken out of the uniform and the other things they added to it. I think their hornline seems more mature then in recent years, but that is just my opinion. I’m really not sure what place this corps will end up. But I feel that same way about Madison that I do about Phantom Regiment: I don’t care where they place, just stay true to yourself!!! b**bs OH, DID I MENTION CARMEN????? :wub::wub::wub::wub:

That is my review of the Belding and Port Huron shows, for what its worth.

My next stop: Michigan City, Indiana, Saturday, July 2, 2005

Edited by LaSqueegee

Excellent review...thanks for providing it.

I'm also hoping that Colts make it back to finals...I like the direction they've take recently, away from the more stoic concert band genre, and more into what I can best describe as "down home" music.

Also, I cannot wait to hear Madison's hornline. I was EXTREMELY disappointed at the false hype of last year. One of the all-time great Madison disappointments, IMHO.

From all accounts, making finals is going to be difficult at best for a lot of corps.