Regiment's Hornline

Can anyone that was at Murfreesboro tonight tell me how PR's hornline was?  The recaps show that PR was down by a 1/2 point to Cadets in brass.  Thats a pretty big gap especially for this hornline.

I talked to a member of Regiment's hornline tonight and apparently there were some blend issues....Anyone have any comments?

I was sitting halfway up on the 45 and yes, there are some blending issues. This is a good thing because they are fixable, I thnk. They could be a little louder, too. They have so much choreography that its easy to imagine how much louder they would be if they would do a little less dancing. the dancing works with the theme completely, its just not"purist".

How good are they? They are NOT .5 below Cadets, I can tell you that. I think Hop has some dirt on the brass panel or something (kidding). Are they as balanced and perfectly in tune like Cavies? No. Is PR incredibly exciting, dynamic, and playing the hardest brass book? Probably. All I think they need is to trade in eight of their euphs for edgier baritones and they would be absolutely scary.

This is their best hornline since 97. They will finish 2nd or 3rd in horns. They are definitely superior to BD's brass except blending and balance. BD's mellos and baris did not seem to be their usually dominant selves.

PR is NOT .6 below Cadets. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that number.

i was there... they sounded amazing... they deserved to be pushing 2nd place brass... phantom had an amazing show last night... i really hope they take 3rd this year... (this is comming from a die-hard bluecoats fan and alum)

this phantom show is oozing with GE... oh man... and that guard guy... there have got to be some rules they are breaking with that guy... he is just way too freakin good!! i turned to my brother and jokingly said "they're cheating!" after he caught that 4 or 5 behind his back like he was falling off a horse (or insert whatever analogy to something that is way too easy)... i really feel like i need to go get his autograph before he gets to be too famous... yeah...

(kidding about the rule breaking/ cheating thing... he was just really impressive... dang)

Just got back from Massillon tonight. Great show for all, especially Regiment, What a total package. I talked to my buddy in the hornline after their ensemble rehearsal. He said a few nights ago Dennis Delucia came up to PR's DM after the show and said this is the best Phantom Regiment he's EVER seen.

Now that's a compliment if I ever heard one, and I'd agree with it. This show is one for the ages. Anyone who is counting this corps out of the title hunt is mistaken.

All I think they need is to trade in eight of their euphs for edgier baritones and they would be absolutely scary.

Are you kidding me!? The euphs (in addition to all of those contras) are one of the big reasons this hornline has a superior sound to everyone else right now.

One of the big problems I have with Bb's is the lack of presence from the low brass. Part of the problem is that hardly anybody is using euphs since the switch. I think Phantom has managed to pretty much wipe out this problem and a big reason is their use of euphs. Playing a baritone for 2nd and 3rd baritone is like trying to play bass trombone with a pea shooter. Then again, I'm a euphonium homer so what do I know.

Edited by Medeabrass

I think it's very gratifying that at the beginning of the season I stated that PR was on fire.... and a lot of people here told me to calm down about it, because they couldn't be THAT good.

:P

Apoch- I told you so!