The South and Drum Corps

It's difficult to counter your logic. You dismiss everything and everyone before 1978, yet 1978 was over 25 years ago. Where are things TODAY? Well, Spirit is in Alabama and occasionally in finals, DCI South is dead, Suncoast Sound is dead, and your local tour shows draw about like any other. Yes, Spirit had a couple of contending years 20+ years ago. The championship hasn't been back for a while, and the South is more likely to see a DCA championship than DCI. Instead of a 25 year-old BOOM, talk about today's BUST.

I DON'T DISMISS ANYTHING BEFORE 78!!!!! Stop putting words into my mouth! It is my OPINION that we didn't see a BOOM in the south UNTIL we had DCI World Championships and a top ranked corps in the late 70s! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Spirit is in Alabama. True. You don't get much more southern than Alabama.

Suncoast is dead. True. We have Magic and Crown to replace them...both SOUTHERN corps in Division 1.

"Local tour shows draw about like any other"...I can't tell if that's a jab or not. Shows that I've attended are quite packed.

"Championships haven't been back in a while"...Huh? We've had finals in Jackson in 1993, in Orlando in 96, 97, 98 and 03. We've got major shows in Murfreesboro and in Orlando each year.

Although the South might not be experiencing a "boom", we hardly at a "bust". We are experiencing heightened exposure. Carolina Crown's success helps. Spirit's resurgence to at least make the top 12 again in the last few years helps. And a tour each year with big shows and top corps makes sure that we get our fair share.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DON'T DISMISS ANYTHING BEFORE 78!!!!! Stop putting words into my mouth!  It is my OPINION that we didn't see a BOOM in the south UNTIL we had DCI World Championships and a top ranked corps in the late 70s!  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Spirit is in Alabama.  True.  You don't get much more southern than Alabama.

Suncoast is dead.  True.  We have Magic and Crown to replace them...both SOUTHERN corps in Division 1.

"Local tour shows draw about like any other"...I can't tell if that's a jab or not.  Shows that I've attended are quite packed.

"Championships haven't been back in a while"...Huh?  We've had finals in Jackson in 1993, in Orlando in 96, 97, 98 and 03.  We've got major shows in Murfreesboro and in Orlando each year. 

Although the South might not be experiencing a "boom", we hardly at a "bust".  We are experiencing heightened exposure. Carolina Crown's success helps.  Spirit's resurgence to at least make the top 12 again in the last few years helps.  And a tour each year with big shows and top corps makes sure that we get our fair share.

I have a hard time thinking of Orlando as "the South", but my dear mother from Whigham, GA feels the same way about Atlanta. :P

No "jab" over southern tour shows, just that they draw like any other part of the country.

Alabama is definitely the South, but so what? My point was that Spirit didn't have the local support to stay in Atlanta. Not my idea of a sustained BOOM. Just like Southwind moving from Montgomery (deep South) to Kentucky (spiritual South, but a border state).

Frankly, I liked Spirit during their "humble" years, between the TV money and the JSU scholarships. To me that was a real community-based corps, not a virtual "what's in it for me" corps.

Alabama is definitely the South, but so what? My point was that Spirit didn't have the local support to stay in Atlanta. Not my idea of a sustained BOOM.

I didn't say we sustained the growth that happened in the late 70s and 80s, but we didn't go belly up either. Sure Spirit moved to JSU, we've always had a close connection to that school...ALWAYS. It was a logical choice. And besides, it's only a couple hours west of Atlanta.

I thought we were talking about the general drum corps health in the south, not specific to one corps like Spirit.

Frankly, I liked Spirit during their "humble" years, between the TV money and the JSU scholarships. To me that was a real community-based corps, not a virtual "what's in it for me" corps.

Well, we can agree on one thing...those years were most definitely humbling, and if we had continued in those circumstances we would have folded permanently. But we were far from "community based". Our members were as spread over the nation as any other corps. We had virtually no local support other than our bingo game, but potential profits from that was limited by the state of GA's unbelievably strict gaming laws. Entire school systems banned drum corps on their properties. We did have some schools that took us in, but those alliances didn't usually last long. We were a hermit corps, practicing and sleeping anywhere we could find. We even practiced in vacant lots of the old Atlanta Hartsfield airport, but again, we only did that for one year. Just how exactly were we "community based"?

Edited by ssorrell

Well, we can agree on one thing...those years were most definitely humbling, and if we had continued in those circumstances we would have folded permanently.  But we were far from "community based".  Our members were as spread over the nation as any other corps.  We had virtually no local support other than our bingo game, but potential profits from that was limited by the state of GA's unbelievably strict gaming laws.  Entire school systems banned drum corps on their properties.  We did have some schools that took us in, but those alliances didn't usually last long.  We were a hermit corps, practicing and sleeping anywhere we could find.  We even practiced in vacant lots of the old Atlanta Hartsfield airport, but again, we only did that for one year.  Just how exactly were we "community based"?

Steve, as I've found through the years, people's "perception" of how things really are and the "reality" of how things really are, quite often are very different.

Arguing your point with folks that have already made up their mind is pointless, no matter how much of a preponderance of evidence you may have to support your statements; something I finally came to accept.

Certainly each of you have your own views of what constituted the height of the "Southern" drum corps experience. Obviously some people agree with both points of view.

If I were you, I'd leave it at that.

Later, AA

Arguing your point with folks that have already made up their mind is pointless, no matter how much of a preponderance of evidence you may have to support your statements; 

Alan,

More true words have never been spoken! Thanks for the dose of reality! I also believe that some people's "perception" is colored by how the want to believe things are, versus perception informed by rational, objective thought.

If we didn't respond to outrageous posts, I wonder how persistent in repeating themselves over and over that certain people would be? (Kind of like: "if they rant and no one is listening, are they still making noise?") I'm not saying that I can live up to that standard always (See the Ron White quote in my sig) I'm just sayin'.... :blink:

Respectfully,

Michael

Alan,

More true words have never been spoken!  Thanks for the dose of reality!  I also believe that some people's "perception" is colored by how the want to believe things are, versus perception informed by rational, objective thought.

If we didn't respond to outrageous posts, I wonder how persistent in repeating themselves over and over that certain people would be? (Kind of like: "if they rant and no one is listening, are they still making noise?")  I'm not saying that I can live up to that standard always (See the Ron White quote in my sig)  I'm just sayin'....  :blink:

Respectfully,

Michael

I took Alan's comments as a suggestion to just let each of us hold to our beliefs. The only outrageous post in this thread is your attempt to provoke another round of exchange through personal insult. I have no idea what your second paragraph is trying to say, but I suspect you just wanted to see your name in print again.

Steve, as I've found through the years, people's "perception" of how things really are and the "reality" of how things really are, quite often are very different. 

Arguing your point with folks that have already made up their mind is pointless, no matter how much of a preponderance of evidence you may have to support your statements; something I finally came to accept.

Certainly each of you have your own views of what constituted the height of the "Southern" drum corps experience.  Obviously some people agree with both points of view. 

If I were you, I'd leave it at that.

Later, AA

Alan,

Off topic, but related to southern drum corps (which this thread needs) I found out this summer that one of our (Miami Vanguards) soloists from the late '60s, turned professional trombonist and mainstay brass player and arranger at Staxx records was inducted into the Soul Music HoF in Memphis. The connection: he spent a year in the Atlanta area as a kid and attended (and obviously played for) Newnan High School. We were certainly glad to get him back to Miami (even passed the hat so he could come home for the Orange Bowl parade that year).

I took Alan's comments as a suggestion to just let each of us hold to our beliefs. The only outrageous post in this thread is your attempt to provoke another round of exchange through personal insult. I have no idea what your second paragraph is trying to say, but I suspect you just wanted to see your name in print again.

Wayne,

I do take offense to your post, but I'll get over it. As for wanting to "see my name in print again" - you are so far off base that you've totally exited the ballpark.

I have a feeling you'll be compelled to respond again with some kind of insulting irrelevant comment - but just so you know - I'm done. :blink: