Corning Show Review

Hello It's me again with another review..

So lets start...

Venue.... nice little place.. It never stops amazing me.. how this little highschools can have such nice fields.. anyway..

Weather.. well before the show.. I thought if it got any more windy, that you would see some of the guard members go flying with their flags.

Crowd.. very energetic. very appreciative crowd.

FIrst up was the Corning East High School Band.. my only comment was. they gave a good effort.. but you can tell they are still learning. Good luck to you guys in the band season.

Ok now with the Corps..

1. Empire Cadets.. little exibition corps. really really cute.. and not to shabby either.. they were actually pretty good. And the tiny little ones in the guard were so adorable to watch.. The crowd really appreciated the performance.. and effort of this corps.

2. White Sabres. First competing corps of the night. A lot better then last week.. a lot of improvements made. All sections were improved.. deffinetly stepped it up a notch. Guard was looking better and the brass seemed to sound more into it.. good job.. IMO.. could be a deffinet contiender for the A class title and or finalst at least.

3. Kingston Grenadiers. Two corps in and two big improvements. The corps on a whole was looking better.. More energy through out... more energy at the end.. the ballad sounded a lot better. There is a couple of issues here. ONE the ballad.. even though it was a lot better..it seems to not have enough umph.. but apparently the corps wants to keep it soft.. so cool. And there is one person in their guard that even when the guard is shakey he still sticks out like a sore thumb.. he needs to be pulled from a few parts of the show. My other problem.. is the compared from last week.. they did make some improvements and didnt get the score for it.. IMO.

4. Rochester Crusaders. Ok there were improvements..and their was more right at the end... but you can still really sense that the brass is losing steam right in the middle of the whole thing. I still think IMO that they were not as good as Grennies.. and there were ppl around me and my parents(we sat in different areas) saying the same thing.. but.. none the less.. they always seem to give everything in there shows.. and I can deffinetly appreciate that. I will give a corps credit when they perform a show.

5. Buccaneers. Well what can I say, the deffinetly had the nicest moment of the night. and probably of the whole competing field.. which I will find out next weekend. The other corps to be rained on.. which led to some problems with the guard.. not just drops but wipe outs. I still say kudos to this guard.. cause I do think it is one of the most demanding guard books.. that I have seen this year (keep in mind I have only seen 7 corps) and amazing looking flags. this corps still had gorgeous sound.. and good control through out the show.. I think they are very deserving of beeing on top.

6. Brigadiers. Hmm.. I dont know what to say really. I thought they were good.. I did not see to much improvment.. the guard seemed to struggle a bit tonight, but I will give them a little leeway because Im sure the field was a bit wet.. and it could lead to some slippery equipment, and wet flags.. which can make things difficult. Now the brass did seem to have a better sound then syaracuse.. and... the ending sounds so good.. I still feel like you could give a bit more.. in parts of the show, but it was better then last week.. so good job.

7. Empire Statesmen. I thought this corps stepped it up a notch.. they did a much better performance this week.. More sound more fun.. It just seemed they let it out last night. yet again I dont think they got the score for it.. Now this wasn't a very high stadium so I might have been missing something visually, but I didn't think that Brigs had gained that much ground on them.. but nonetheless.. I did really like there show tonight. And will look forward to seeing them at finals.

Ok the only other negative I had was.. I think it should have been a full corps retreat. Yes it may have rained earlier on in the night.. but .. It only rained for a short time.. and I don't think long enough to make a drum majors only rertreat. :master: Lets just hope that next weekend (finals) it gets to be a full corps retreat.. it's the only way to go.

we were surprised that there was no corps at retreat, we thought some one was messing and wanted us to be embarrased, by not showing up

we were surprised that there was no corps at retreat, we thought some one was messing and wanted us to be embarrased, by not showing up

I was wondering what was going on.. when I saw all the corps members in the stands heading to get ready and then seeing them return.,.. :P but.. Its just not a complete show.. if its not a full corps retreat.. :(

Nice review, I guess. Seems that you have been involved in Canadian drum corps for some time. How nice of you to point out to the Grenadier staff that they should get rid of a certain person in certain sections of the show..perhaps you and your parents and as u say others in the crowd should get involved again..you all seem to know sooooo much about the situations...so easy eh ?/ that's what u canucks say eh??? eh?? <**>

Nice review, I guess. Seems that you have been involved in Canadian drum corps for some time.  How nice of you to point out to the Grenadier staff that they should get rid of a certain person in certain sections of the show..perhaps you and your parents and as u say others in the crowd should get involved again..you all seem to know sooooo much about the situations...so easy eh ?/ that's what u canucks say eh???  eh?? <**>

yeah well..thanks so much... but because of health problems.. can't quite do it this year.. Im not saying they arent trying.. I know they are trying there hardest.. I know what it is like being out there.. I think there are parts of the show where this person.. is doing quite well. I remeber though my first year out on a field.. I couldnt do a full show either.. heck I didn't do a full show until I was in the activity.. until my fourth year marching. so Im not saying it to be mean and Im sorry if it came accross that way. Which Im sure it did. And im not dissing the Grenadier staff.. I love the staff they have this year.. and I love the music.. and show.. so if you found what I said offensive.. I appologize.. and as for my parents and ppl around me they didn't say anything about this person, but you know what Im still intilted to my opinion. And for that fact why arent you on the field this year? All i did was give an opinion.. and for that fact.. I gave the grennies guys a good review.. so no need to jump on my back. And if I was mean.. again I appologize, but i've got to be hinest about how I feel. I will appologize to the staff, in the fact that Im not trying to tell them what to do, thats it from me right now.

How bout Mighty St. Joes? Really nice sound from an alumni corps! Probably rivaled some of the competing corps (I know...they stood still, but c'mon!)

Got into the stadium a little late. (Funny how far away the lot is to the stands sometimes. :rolleyes: )

Saw the end of Crusaders show. Pretty decent sound. Seemed a little tired, but I'm sure they are working hard during the day to try to get back into Finals. Good effort, just a little raw. I'm sure they will be a bit cleaner at Prelims. Man, if this is 10th or 11th place next week, that really says something about the quality level in DCA!!! Wow!

Bucs seemed to have it in all captions. Drums, Horns & Guard - all very strong. The loud part of the ballad just keeps growing and growing. I had goose bumps. I love how the visual package leads my eyes from feature to feature. Also, what a cymbal line!!! You have to check these guys out next week - cool parts & visuals throughout! Hands down winner of the night.

Tough call between Brigs & Statesmen for 2nd. Should be a tight race at Finals. I thought Brigs were a bit cleaner at some points, especially in brass. Good soprano sound but could use a bit more low brass support. Nice pit sound in Round Midnight. Felt kinda like being at an outdoor jazz festival.

Empire was louder, but overall, not as clean as Brigs. Stan Kenton book has a lot of potential. Seemed a little squared off at times, but this is probably for cleanliness-sake. The soloists in the pit were cool, for awhile, but the effect wears off as the show goes on. High Notes don't seem quite as high if you play them the whole show. Empire really works hard to sell what they're playing, probably more than anyone. The Carmen San Diego idea was a bit tough to follow, although I usually forget that I'm supposed to be following the story and just listen to the drums and horns. I wonder if they considered wearing the Carmen San Diego hats to sell the show concept a little better. Would have looked pretty cool!

Neat stadium, although, I thought it might be RFL with the overhang. Actually, it seemed to darken the sound of everyone just a bit. Good food, the chili-nachos were tasty, although they talked back at me all night.

Good luck to everyone at Scranton. See you in the Stadium Club. (If they could only open the windows so I could hear, I would never have to leave the bar!)

How bout Mighty St. Joes? Really nice sound from an alumni corps! Probably rivaled some of the competing corps (I know...they stood still, but c'mon!)

You know Im not a big fan of alumni corps.. but if I could chose a alumni corps to watch.. Mighty St. Joes would be one of the two I would pic.. they do have a nice sound and play entertaining music.. pretty cool.

How bout Mighty St. Joes?  Really nice sound from an alumni corps!  Probably rivaled some of the competing corps (I know...they stood still, but c'mon!)

Got into the stadium a little late.  (Funny how far away the lot is to the stands sometimes.  :whistle: )

Saw the end of Crusaders show.  Pretty decent sound.  Seemed a little tired, but I'm sure they are working hard during the day to try to get back into Finals.  Good effort, just a little raw.  I'm sure they will be a bit cleaner at Prelims.  Man, if this is 10th or 11th place next week, that really says something about the quality level in DCA!!!  Wow! 

thanks for the wow, i think...im pretty sure...well thanks any way, make sure to catch our whole show at DCA's

yeah well..thanks so much... but because of health problems.. can't quite do it this n]

hey quit apologising!!! You said you wanted to express your honest opinion so great!! I have the right also to express mine. Your review was welcome so...I guess i say sorry to you...emotions etc, run high in the drum corps community, we all have been active at one time or other in this great activity, and sometimes ...well..the internet is a wonderful tool, but at times it is also a curse . Emotion never shows m, yes i know use the emoticoms, such wonderful add-ons. Please enjoy this week-end and always enjoy drumcorps...the best activity on this godforsaken planet!!! And God Bless New Orleans et al... :(