Standard DCI Corps Appearance Fees

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken either way this respnse from Conner is a piece of turd.

If he meant that corps membership fees are too high ... that is preposterous. With costs for food, fuel, equipment and instruction at a premium members get a deal and a half. Summer music camps last a fraction of time and charge as much if not way more than corps membership fees.

Corps performance fees for shows? Equally foolish. $2400 for Div 1 corps (well at least those from 1-21) is relative to the work put into it by the show promoter. Div 2 corps get $1200 if the show is mixed & Div 3 corps $900. If its a 2/3 show only they get tantamount to nothing at all.

to much :(

~>conner

I would agrue that it is a SHOW's responsibility to be solvent..ie market, sell the tickets, concessions, work the stadium deals, etc.

The corps fees are fair, exp. afer DCI redid the payout criteria this past summer. Anyway, those fees only cover 1/3 to 1/2 of a corps revenue.

You've got that right! We spend a lot of time fundraising to afford to put on a show ... and it's hard work. But, it's a labor of love.

If he meant that corps membership fees are too high ... that is preposterous. With costs for food, fuel, equipment and instruction at a premium members get a deal and a half. Summer music camps last a fraction of time and charge as much if not way more than corps membership fees.

Corps performance fees for shows? Equally foolish. $2400 for Div 1 corps (well at least those from 1-21) is relative to the work put into it by the show promoter. Div 2 corps get $1200 if the show is mixed & Div 3 corps $900. If its a 2/3 show only they get tantamount to nothing at all.

oh would you chill out? I misunderstood the question. I thought he meant fees to join a corps... which is to expensive from a 15 year olds point of view. Some people cant afford 1500 dollars to march. I realize that it is as cheap as it can be for the corps to be functional, but still. That reply was ridiculous.

That was both uncalled for, and offensive. If anything YOUR response was "a piece of turd"

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

I'll probably get banned for a week... but pull whatever is riding up there out already. There's no need to sit there and literally pick him apart for stating his opinion that it's "too much" to march in a corps, regaurdless of whether or not it wasn't intended to be said in the topic. Rather than focusing all that negative energy in putting him down, perhaps you'd be willing to help him out in some way.

To quote the infamous Peter Griffin... "That really grinds my gears."

Perhaps, membership in a corps is, indeed, a great deal. But for some it is still expensive. For a young kid of 15-16, $2,500 may as well be $25,000. How many kids are there out there like Conner, who would love to march but who find the fees preventative? Yes, given all that is included in those fees, corps may be a bargain but, in the words of that wise (and sometimes off-color) sage, Shirley Q. Liquor, "99 cent is not a bargain if you don't have 99 cent."

$2400 for Div 1 corps (well at least those from 1-21) is relative to the work put into it by the show promoter. Div 2 corps get $1200 if the show is mixed & Div 3 corps $900. If its a 2/3 show only they get tantamount to nothing at all.

If these are correct figures, that works out to a max of only about $18 per performer. I guess that might pay their meals for the day, forget about transportation and lodging. Thanks for the info.

What is a performance fee vs. a performance payout?

The way I see it, a performance fee is what each corps is paid to perform at any given show.

A performance payout is what a show sponsor must pay the corps that perform at their show.

They're both the same thing...it just depends from what origin you are talking about.

This is what I had thought how this is done, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :)

But doesn't a corps have to pay X amount to perform at a show? I had thought this to be the case, and that's what I had thought what a performance fee is. The payout is what the corps get after they perform.

Again, I may be wrong on this, I'm sure this is what I saw in number figures a couple years ago when looking at numbers for the Western Corps Connection in Riverside.

But doesn't a corps have to pay X amount to perform at a show?

From my 23+ years around drum corps, including several as a manager of a top 12 corps, I am totally unaware of a corps PAYING to perform. If they do, it's a new thing.

Perhaps, membership in a corps is, indeed, a great deal. But for some it is still expensive. For a young kid of 15-16, $2,500 may as well be $25,000. How many kids are there out there like Conner, who would love to march but who find the fees preventative? Yes, given all that is included in those fees, corps may be a bargain but, in the words of that wise (and sometimes off-color) sage, Shirley Q. Liquor, "99 cent is not a bargain if you don't have 99 cent."

This is true..HOWEVER..

Most corps offer payment plans that make it less painful.

Many provide discounts for returning members

There are scholarships avialable.

Corps Directors understand the cost of marching. The last reason they want a kid to quit is because of money. :)