Would you have marched if horns weren't G?

WoofInTheWoods

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have marched if horns weren't G?

• No, I wanted to play the "G" horns and nothing else.
    • Yes, I still would have marched no matter what key the horns were.
    • It doesn't matter to me, I'm in the drumline / guard.

Probably. I originally joined to march in the drumline. It was a fluke of fate that put me in the hornline.

When I first joined, I didn't even know they were different.

It doesn't matter to me.

Seeing as how I marched in the 80's you really didn't have a choice. Then again, back then most horn players went in knowing about the key of the horn and the 2 valves. IMO, it added to drum corps appeal.

Think about it.   Would you have still marched in drum corps if the horns were in any other key besides "G"?

I started marching in 01 as more corps were starting to switch. Although at the time I didn't rule any out because of the key of their horns (those with Bb's were either too far away for me to drive to or otherwise not an option, such as Cavies), one of the big draws for me marching was the G bugles. I don't know why, but I guess there's something about a bugle... I was really glad that when Colts got new sops, we got sops and not trumpets. B)

And it's helped in pep band when none of our alto saxes or mellophones show up and I get to play the accursed mellophone :lol: (nothing against those of you who like the things, just not my cup of tea!). Playing different keyed instruments is no longer a problem for me (especially those in F, G, and C)

without a doubt I would have marched!

It has more to due with playing with excellence than with what key your horn is in.

There is nothing better than standing in a 62 man hornline (jr corps) or a 74 man hornline (sr corps) and playing in tune, and playing LOUD, and playing musically.

Kimela :)

When I joined drum corps back in 1965, key was not something that mattered. I was aware that it was easier to play in the upper register and that key had something to do with it. I do recall wondering why the bugle only had one valve and a slide, rather than 3 valves like my trumpet and, dare I say it, why we didn't have bugles that could play all the notes. :lol: