Vanguard Camp Pictures

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the pictures and there was an overhead shot of the hornline... still seems small... couldn't have been more than 150.. if that many. But you gotta start somehwere right?

I had the opportunity to attend the camp with my son who was trying out for the trumpet line. He had a great experience, and also a great audition (musically and visually) but was a year too young to make the corps, which we knew would probably be the case since he's not even 16 yet. His talent and maturity exceed his years on the planet! Anyway, he's pumped to try again next fall, and they strongly encouraged him to come back for a spot in 2007.

Anyway, the photos you see, as well as the video, do not give an accurate illustration of the number of horns that were there. The camera lense could not possibly fill the frame, as the horn line was pretty much in a complete circle behind Key. For those that were asking, Nick Williams was there, but had to leave Saturday for a football game that he was committed to with his college band in Texas. He returned Saturday night.

I didn't count the number of horns, but I can assure you that it was pretty much cramped up in the rehearsal area on the bottom level of the main building at Mission College. The tubas were forced to the back section of the circle and were pretty tight as well. So, never fear, Santa Clara's definitely here!

I had the opportunity to attend the camp with my son who was trying out for the trumpet line. He had a great experience, and also a great audition (musically and visually) but was a year too young to make the corps, which we knew would probably be the case since he's not even 16 yet. His talent and maturity exceed his years on the planet! Anyway, he's pumped to try again next fall, and they strongly encouraged him to come back for a spot in 2007.

I suggest your son give serious consideration to joining the SCV Cadets! George Brown and his staff will guarantee he receives the full SCV experience. Plus this year the Cadets are going to Madison for D2 finals.

Paul

how many snares where there (i cant watch the video) it sounds incredbly dirty though

Of course it's dirty, from the video it looks like there's at least 15 or so snares playing, probably more like 20+. Snare lines are never CLEAN at auditions....

one would think that with the level of talent that should try out for vangaurd, tha it might be a bit cleaner

I suggest your son give serious consideration to joining the SCV Cadets! George Brown and his staff will guarantee he receives the full SCV experience. Plus this year the Cadets are going to Madison for D2 finals.

I would second that, George has been doing a great job with the Cadet corps. Depending on where you live, you've also got BDB to the north and Mandarins another hour farther than BDB.

I would second that, George has been doing a great job with the Cadet corps. Depending on where you live, you've also got BDB to the north and Mandarins another hour farther than BDB.

...and Fever! Lots of good options in Norcal these days! :)