DIV II/III DVDS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have a review on all 12 corps within the next 2 days.

Oregon Crusaders.... WOW... amazing. I think I'm gonna marry the flugelhorn soloist.

Well here's a show "review"

Honorable mentions.. Teal Sound, Yamato, Raiders.

Underated shows: Oregon Crusaders, Impulse, and Yamato

Overated shows: Sparatans guard ( not the show, show was amazing), Blue Stars, Fever (guard was amazing, and percussion wasn't as bad as the scores show, impressive brass playing, porr upperbody control)

And Jersey Surf edited the best part of the show. The new uniforms give the illusion that they can march.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine in the mail. Here's what I have to say.... if anyone cares :P

I'm not going to say something about all the performances though, only because I don't have anything to say about all of them. Oh, and anything I say is not directed towards the performers, but more towards to the staff who put these shows together. But the following is what stood out in my mind as I was watching.

First, some recognition.

Favorite music books - East Coast Jazz, Jersey Surf, OC

Favorite Visual books - Taipei, Raiders, Jersey Surf, Oregon Crusaders

And some reviews.

ECJ - One of the best brass sounds I've heard from a D2 corps. I can recognize all the music they're playing, which is why I like it so much. Too bad there isn't more low brass though. It seems that the high brass has all the "cool licks" so to speak and the low brass are just supporters... very BDish, which isn't a bad thing... I'm just a low brass guy.

Spartans - Very clean. Spartans seem to have created an expectation as far as performance style goes, and it has shown the last few years... meaning there hasn't been much change in style of music, performance, etc... meaning they've found an image and have stuck it. A very good thing I think. However... no energy (as a viewer). They're not showing anything... at least I'm not able to aquire any sort of emotion from any of the sections. Drill-wise, again very clean, but very slow I think. I don't think the drill itself helped the music much (i.e. percussion in the back of the field during a prcussion feature with the brass in front of them). But as I said before, very clean.

Surf - Love the music and visual. The 1812 Overture with Stars and Stripes mingled in between was great! I really enjoyed watching this show, and is in my opinion the most entertaining show on the DVD. Again, I like that I can recognize the music that is being played.

Raiders - Bravo! It's a show every director should make their students watch I think. Having no drum major really makes the performers think. It's sort of like watching a corps of the old days where the drum major wasn't necessarily in front during most of the show. They did an excellent job of keeping the tempo and listening back. I'm a sucker for small corps drills because they move faster.

OC - I love this organization and I love how they handle themselves. I got to watch this show being put together during the off-season. The music and visual is amazing in this show I think, however, I think it was the visual that kept OC from placing any higher than they did... just not as krisp as the other corps out there.

Taipei - First note, not mentioning "Republic of China" in Taipei's name could get DCI in trouble if the Chinese government were to get a hold of the DVDs as the US government at this time does not recognize Taiwan as an independent nation. I love the visual in this show. the fan work is amazing and memorable throughout the show. The percussion feature is becoming somewhat of a signature piece for the corps, but the different times I've seen it, the visual has been different (2002 was body movement, 2005 was fans).

Yamato - note: I have very high expectations for the staff of this group

Probably one of our more (if not the most) boring shows I think. There was no marching technique from what I saw, which explains the space in scores between visual ensemble and individual M&M. The lack in marching technique was heard in the brass as well. The pit needs Susan back... they looked so bored out there. One person wrote that the most energetic part of the show was the tag-on at the end, which I agree with, and now understand why it was put in. The brass was clean, but there were no "moments" anywhere in the show. The corps is going with yet another original show for next year... wish they wouldn't... here's hoping for the best.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

Edited by bari_benzo

First, some recognition.

Favorite music books - East Coast Jazz, Jersey Surf, OC

Favorite Visual books - Taipei, Raiders, Jersey Surf, Oregon Crusaders

And some reviews.

ECJ - One of the best brass sounds I've heard from a D2 corps. I can recognize all the music they're playing, which is why I like it so much. Too bad there isn't more low brass though. It seems that the high brass has all the "cool licks" so to speak and the low brass are just supporters... very BDish, which isn't a bad thing... I'm just a low brass guy.

As a member, I can say that the lead baritones had a #### of a lot of awesome parts... Especially in the first song - the bari/tenor feature after the quartet (which was after the first big jazz hit) was really tough and a lot of fun to play... although now that I watch the video, it definitely didn't come through as well as it did on the audio recording. Caravan had its moments (playing with the mellos and the "cutting contest"... where the low brass and high were split), and the end of La Fiesta where we were staged up front had some cool stuff. I'm not trying to dispute your opinion - oftentimes, a lot of what is written on the page doesn't project as well onto the field. Obviously we have a lot of talented high brass players (like James Covington, our soloist), and our arranger was a high brass guy, so it's not altogether surprising that they were featured more (we would often joke that when our caption head would conduct us in horn arc, it seemed like he would just cue high brass entrances and releases, and leave the low brass to figure it out... he knows his stuff though, he's a great arranger, and, even more than that, an awesome guy).

But yeah, some parts of our bari section were weak (and I won't say anything about the tubas... probably the best bet), so I can understand how we might not necessarily project. I mean, god, most of the time I can only hear the lead baritones, and I know what the rest of the notes are supposed to sound like. Thanks a lot for your input and criticism. I'm glad you enjoyed our show. I took no offense to your comments (as it would be hard to), I'm just trying to point out some times where the low brass had some kicking parts.

Thanks a lot for your review.

Edited by TTitans909

I'm not saying the low brass was weak in any retrospect. Listening to the CD, I can point what you're talking about where the low brass are given some good licks. But the arrangement itself is very high brass in terms of melody. But again, I think you guys had the best brassline out there based on the DVD/CD recordings.

I'm just someone who expects all corps to arrange their music like 96 Phantom :P

But yeah, some parts of our bari section were weak (and I won't say anything about the tubas... probably the best bet), so I can understand how we might not necessarily project. I mean, god, most of the time I can only hear the lead baritones, and I know what the rest of the notes are supposed to sound like. Thanks a lot for your input and criticism. I'm glad you enjoyed our show. I took no offense to your comments (as it would be hard to), I'm just trying to point out some times where the low brass had some kicking parts.

Thanks a lot for your review.

You really think so? I thought the Baris were the stronger section of the hornline. When I first started learning drill, first thing I noticed is that the high brass never marched in the front half of the field alot while playing and the low brass was Always behind the high brass marching in mid field. It helped the Mellos out alot, but didn't do much justice for the low brass, esp Baritones. But that's just what I think.

And Jersey Surf edited the best part of the show. The new uniforms give the illusion that they can march.

Hmmm, don't know whether to interpret that as a slight on the marching or what . . . Clarify?

Hmmm, don't know whether to interpret that as a slight on the marching or what . . . Clarify?

Since 2000 (even that year) Surf haven't been AMAZING marcher and it as getting worst. But this year with uniforms, the technique is more uniformed and defined. It shows b/c this year there was alot more clarity in the drill.

"..the illusion they can march"

Just what it means, far away it really looks like they're pretty good, up close, it's a different story. But that's with everycorps.

Does it matter any? So what? Whether it was intentionally meant as a slight or not, it was still very funny.

Let's face it, Surf hasn't been well known for exceptional marching ability. Even Mr. Jacobs has come on this forum and joked something to the effect of, "Next year we're going to actually have a marching program :) ." It's become almost a stereotype, and a funny one at that. If other Surf members can laugh a little at themselves, why can't you. Bluecoats used to have a similar perception with people joking about how they march like trucks (then they got good at marching, and that changed). Laugh a little, smile a little, not everyone is perfect.

We all love the fabulous Jersey Surf regardless of how well they march. Rather than nit-picking someone's otherwise positive review and trying to start a fight, laugh at the little jab of a well known, trivial flaw.

Thanks for the reviews Bobby and Eddie! :blink: