DCI 2006 Rule Changes

This is a new rule being proposed by GH for 2006 DCI (no kidding, except for my kidding of course):

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: Operation of Sound Board Moved Off-Field (or out of DCI altogether)

DESCRIPTION: The Sound board for DCI corps can be placed on the field (or left at the electronics store), or in between the front sideline and the wall of the stadium. The board must be on the field of competition. (The board must be out of the competition or out of commission.) It cannot be placed in the stands. (lest it be destroyed by the angry fans!) The board can be operated by a non-corps member if it is placed outside the field of competition. (and at the rave club where it belongs.) The board cannot be adjusted via remote control (unless remote control is utilized to disable it). It must be adjusted with the use of a corps member or a member of the competing’ corps team. (or a sound engineer with a degree in audio). The “sound person” may or may not, speak to a corps representative in the stadium, in the stands, and via phone or wireless device. (hopefully that person is communicating "turn that #### thing off").

PURPOSE/RATIONAL: (Why make this change-what are the benefits?) (NONE) Assuming that amplification can be a positive within productions, (huge ### assumption) it is also true that there are, or can be, issues from time to time with the production of sound (no kidding!!!!!!!! This statement alone is all that need be said for the elimination of amps in DCI). At the same time, in no other activity would the sound be balanced from behind the speakers (acoustic activities do not require balancing from any speakers). Allowing the board to be front of the ensembles will lead to a better production (eliminating it would be the best production). Balances can be adjusted easily, potential problems can be controlled, AND, we do not have to use the skills of a student in standing and monitoring a board (all of which can be accomplished without amps. By the way, what is going on with the "student" language? They're "members". Whoever wrote this is stuck in Bands Of America land YEA!!). In short ... this will provide a better experience for the member (thank you), the staff, and nervous staff and directors (lack of said devices would accomplish the same goal and what of the audience experience? Did the DCI audience ever say, "I sure wish this amazing sound was amplified"?).

EDUCATIONAL IMPACT: (How does this benefit the students (YEA) educationally?) (It doesn't, it lessen the members musical experience). As mentioned, currently, a student is required to spend time altering or monitoring sound (plus lugging around extra gear, checking batteries, mics, speakers, amps, cables etc). Taking this task from the student (or banishing it all together) will allow the members (now they're members again) to perform without interference (unplugging is the least interference of all) . Also, in all other musical activities (except for acoustic ones), any kind of amplification would indeed be handled from outside the ensemble, not at the point of performance (some musical performances require none i.e. orchestras, concert bands, etc.) That said, we would be consistent with what the students (there we go again) will see through their lives (that's the point of amps? training for the "real world"? Drum corps is training enough for their lives without electronics. If the kids need to be exposed to amps, take them to a U2 show).

CREATIVE IMPACT: (Disastrous) (How does this affect the creative aspects of the activity? (In the worst ways known to humankind) How does this affect designers/instructors? (It makes them lazy and uninventive) There will be a greater possibility that the balance of the ensemble will be (in)appropriate . From outside the ensemble it is far easier to monitor, thus, balance will be more true to the stadium acoustics from day to day (even truer without electricity).

FISCAL IMPACT: (How does this financially affect individual corps and the DCI organization?) (HEAVILY) None (Excuse me? This whole thing is an extra cost burden. If that is a concern, say goodbye to amps!!!)

AUDIENCE IMPACT: (HORRIFIC) (How will this affect our audience and their perceptions of the activity?) (In the worst way imaginable) The audience will be assured of hearing a more (un)balanced show. Any problems with amplification can be handled quickly and efficiently (by lighting the amps on fire).

SHOW PROMOTER IMPACT: (How will this affect the show promoters-financially and logistically as it relates to contest production?) (Adversely as students, oops I mean members run around screaming "Where do I plug this in?") None! The sounds board will just be placed front of the field (or back on the showroom floor safely out the hands of people who have lost their way creatively) --- near the front wall ... wherever it might be.

Thank you Cadets for making my case for me.

This is being discussed not 3 threads down....

I dont see how it pertains to hopkins losing his mind.

I dont see how it pertains to hopkins losing his mind.

If he thinks this rule change will actually make things better, well then, he's lost his mind!

My appologies.

Closed.