G Bugles and Concert Trumpet

CourtOfHonorMember

I will be playing on a G bugle in the Bandettes this year. I have been practicing on it and I have noticed when I go back to my concert trumpet it feels really different and unnatural. Is this really bad? Will playing g bugle ruin my concert technique and emboushure? I don't know what to do about it. I need advice.

I will be playing on a G bugle in the Bandettes this year. I have been practicing on it and I have noticed when I go back to my concert trumpet it feels really different and unnatural. Is this really bad? Will playing g bugle ruin my concert technique and emboushure? I don't know what to do about it. I need advice.

Learning to play brass in every key is a good thing. You are starting to become aware of placing notes by interval and not by "I press 1 & 2 and get..."

Understand every trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, and bugle has a slightly different resistance as determined by bore size, key, and bell. What you are feeling is a normal part of the process, be it learning a tumpet in C, D, Eb, F, A. Learning to adjust is not any different than a flute player learning piccolo, a clarinet player learning bass, an alto sax player learning tenor... you get the idea.

Stick with it and grow as a well rounded brass player!

Randy

I agree with what Randy said. It's a different instrument, so it will sound different. As far as embouchure goes, it shouldn't be a problem, as your bugle should accept the same mouthpiece as your trumpet. If you have to play on a different mouthpiece because of instructors, just remember that the same embouchure fundamentals should apply, and you'll be fine!

It's not an embochure thing. On a G bugle, when you play a written middle C it sounds a concert G. On a regular trumpet when you play a written middle C it sounds a concert Bb. It feels different because it is different. But you don't need to change your embochure between the two. You just need to be aware of the differences and get your ear, and mind, and muscle memory used to the difference. Bear in mind that if you go on to do this professionally, you'll probably end up playing instruments in C, Eb, F, Bb, G, and who knows what keys. It's a good thing, roll with it.

There's also the difference in bore size, intonation tendancies, and other aspects of physically playing different horns, even in the same key, with the same mouthpiece. Let your ear and mind be the guide and the rest will follow.

Bear in mind that if you go on to do this professionally, you'll probably end up playing instruments in C, Eb, F, Bb, G, and who knows what keys. It's a good thing, roll with it.

There's also the difference in bore size, intonation tendancies, and other aspects of physically playing different horns, even in the same key, with the same mouthpiece. Let your ear and mind be the guide and the rest will follow.

Well said. If anything, your sense of pitch should get better, and that can only help when playing ANY instrument.