This one is For the Kids Adding Woodwinds Or Guitars

i would not march dci if woodwinds were added, id keep to myself here at cru

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, though, that corps would most likely be forced to use ww's by having a woodwind caption. If they didn't use ww's, then a significant amount of their score could be lost.

I say let's have a year where ww's can be added, with no penalty if they're not.

Then let DCI see how much better the shows that are all brass and percussion are recieved by the fans and judges. Problem solved: no ww's. EVER.

What, I can dream, right? :sigh:

Edited by flashofthunder

What is Drum Corps to you?

A challenge to be my best. To set a goal, work your butt off, then in the end reach that goal. It's family. Knowing as a Southwind t-shirt put it ''Knowing 134 other people have your back''. It's other people depending on you to give 100% to make everything look good. I cant realy explain it.

If Woodwinds or Guitars where added would that make you think of Drum Corps different.

BOA anyone? (Note: I hold nothing against BOA)

Would you still March etc..

DCA. I honestly think I would give up DCI if that happend. It already made me cringe with the woodwinds at I&E, but putting them on the field, I would lose total respect for DCI.

I would just like to say if woodwinds ever made it on to a DCI field show the activity would never ever be the same for me. It would turn into just another marching band thing.

I wouldn't like it I wouldn't approve of it.

Will I still march

#### yes!

When I first heard about drum corps (which was about a year ago as a freshman in high school) My first impression was that it was a better and much more "intense" version of marching band. That being said after a while I also saw that it has it's own differences to really be a different activity. To me drum corps is everything I wanted marching band to be and more.

Would adding woodwind/strings change my view on the activity?

Of course, I would be extremely surprised if anyone didn't think so. It would definitely seem much more like a marching band than a drum corps. Is that a bad thing? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I like where the activity is at the moment. I currently have no problems with amplifications (course I never been to a live show) or vocals (Scatting in BD 03, drumspeak in Cadets and Bluecoats 05, and SW's style of singing is fine by me.) what gets me though is narration and singing with lyrics (BD and Cascades 05, Crown 04 a big NO with me) and even worse is having that amplified.

Will I still march?

Probably yes. A lot of the time kids want to join drum corps because people in their marching band sometimes don't really take it seriously. At least that's how it was with me. This may not be true for all but as I see it a lot of the kids that do drum corps don't come from the really good marching bands, instead they come from the bands that aren't "intense" enough. So even though drum corps may seem more like a marching band there is still the case that the kids in it want to be in it.

Note: When I say intense I mean better and harder if you guys didn't know.