Why BBb contrabass always play C major?

yashiharu

Here is the part, I don't understand BBb instrument ...

it would be a silly question to you guys ...

When the Song is in C major

Piano in C play their C major

Trumpet in Bb play their D major

Mellophone in F play their G major (yamaha 201M is in F, right :P)

Why BBb Tuba play their C major (Concert Bb major !!??) ?

Here is the part, I don't understand BBb instrument ...

it would be a silly question to you guys ...

When the Song is in C major

Piano in C play their C major

Trumpet in Bb play their D major

Mellophone in F play their G major (yamaha 201M is in F, right :P )

Why BBb Tuba play their C major (Concert Bb major !!??) ?

Because the Tuba is a non-transposing instrument. For a Bb scale a trumpet plays a C which sounds a Bb. I'm not sure why music has to be written that way, but that's the way it is.

Treble clef transposes, but bass clef doesn't. Where this originates, I'm not exactly sure, but that's true throughout the music world. We don't think of it as being "our C major," it's just the Bb major scale. The confusion usually comes from it being considered a "C instrument" in the sense that the note and pitch are the same.

All of this is correct - it does not transpose when it comes to written pitch in bass clef. It is said to be in Bb because that is the overtone series it uses - an open note (no fingers down) produces a concert Bb as the fundamental (lowest pitch). A C tuba will play the overtones over a concert C, but will still read the same music as the Bb players, just using different fingerings.

All of this is correct - it does not transpose when it comes to written pitch in bass clef. It is said to be in Bb because that is the overtone series it uses - an open note (no fingers down) produces a concert Bb as the fundamental (lowest pitch). A C tuba will play the overtones over a concert C, but will still read the same music as the Bb players, just using different fingerings.

just becoz of different fingering?

that mean ... 0 can be concert Bb & also concert C ?

can anyone explain it with valve number?

Tubas come in four different keys (or pitch levels). Except for the upright and electric bass, instruments that read bass clef all read concert pitch music. (upright and electric basses read music that is transposed one octave higher than the sounding pitch)

Tubas players, because of this, must choose which horn will be used by performance tradition, overall range of the part to be played, or the orchestration. Not only do tubists have to follow historical precedent when one exists, but how "big" the part needs to sound will also dictate which horn to use.

As a composer or arranger, you must not think about that at all. Just write what you want played. It is the tubist's job to bring the right horn and be able to play it.

That means that the tubist has to learn a complete set of fingerings for each key of horn that he or she plays. It is a little like horn and trumper players and orchestral transposition, but in reverse.

Examples:

Low C

BBb = 4 or 13

CC = 0

Eb = 3 or 12

F = 4 or 13

Low Bb

BBb = 0

CC = 1

Eb = 4 or 13

F = 45 or 14 or 124

High G

BBb = 3 or 12

CC = 0

Eb = 0

F = 1

Middle Ab

BBb = 1

CC = 23

Eb = 1

F = 23

Middle D

BBb = 0

CC = 1

Eb = 1

F = 3 or 12

So a BBb tuba plays the Bb overtone series as open notes. Bb, D and F in the staff are all fingered as open notes. CC plays C, E, and G in the staff as open notes. And so on and so forth . . .

It really is much easier than it sounds.

Edited by Periphery

I sure hope so, because I'm sure in :blink: mode.

It really is much easier than it sounds.

I've read it 2 times ...

but sorry to say, I still can't see the relation to my question ... :blink:

i knew different key of instrument need different fingering with the same sound ...

your word seems like the relationship between Bb trumpet & C trumpet

When

Bb trumpet play C (valve 0) with their C major (concert Bb major),

C trumpet play Bb (valve 1) with their Bb major (concert Bb major) ...

So

how about the case in BBb tuba? :(

I'm now stop at bass line ... don't know use what major key for the brass ensemble ...

Edited by yashiharu

The main point is, if you tell a tuba player to play a C, no matter what key his horn is in, he'll play a concert C. Likewise with a C scale; it will just be different fingerings. Tuba players don't think in terms of transposition, just different fingerings.

The main point is, if you tell a tuba player to play a C, no matter what key his horn is in, he'll play a concert C. Likewise with a C scale; it will just be different fingerings. Tuba players don't think in terms of transposition, just different fingerings.

so, just give them the concert major key?

e.g.

song in Bb

trumpet in Bb, i write a C major key for them

mellophone in F, i write a F major key for them

baritone (Bass clef) in Bb, i write a C major key for them?

euphonium (Bass clef) in Bb, i write a C major key for them?

no matter tuba in BBb/ CC, i write a Bb major for them? they should find their "do" (Bb)~

song in G major

trumpet in Bb, i write a A major key for them

mellophone in F, i write a D major key for them

baritone (Bass clef) in Bb, i write a A major key for them?

euphonium (Bass clef) in Bb, i write a A major key for them?

no matter tuba in BBb/ CC, i write a G major for them? they should find their "do" (G)~

is that right?

should all Bass Clef score === Concert Key?

Edited by yashiharu