mellophone mouthpiece

ctbari

Does anyone have any experience with, or know anything about, the IYM Corp. mellophone mouthpieces that you can get through the Cavaliers web site? I can't find any info or specs anywhere... I like the sound of the 6v, but sure would like something a little bigger!

I've tried to find out the same information, and haven't gotten very far. I'm the same way as you - I would just like a mouthpiece like the 6v, but with a wider cup diameter. If you find anything out, please be nice and share.

Last summer we (Empire Statesmen) got one. Gina Quinn tried it out (I didnt get a chance to play it).

I believe she said it was good till you go in the upper range. When you go to carriage then to playing you get a river in your face. She didnt share too many details, nor would let anyone else try it. That was the last I saw of it.

Personally no mouthpiece is better than a 5 or 6v for a mellophone. A flugal MP doesnt cut it, even if its a monete!

I just wish I had more of an occasion to play mellophone now - I would buy one just to see.

Anyone tried the Larry Kerchner model that he created? I know the Cavies used them last season, and the Bridgemen Alumni mello line too. :)

Anyone tried the Larry Kerchner model that he created? I know the Cavies used them last season, and the Bridgemen Alumni mello line too.

I believe that's the same one we're talking about - designed by Kerchner and produced by IYM Corp.

We got one for evaluation for our mello line. Liked it a lot, but we were not able to get the horns in tune. Seemed like the length of the mouthpiece was a little off for our horns.

We are now back to the Kanstul Mello 6.

As sweet and pure as the Cav's mello line sounded last year, I can't believe there isn't more awareness of this (IYM/Kerchner) mouthpiece... Maybe I should have put IYM &/or Kerchner or Cavs in the Topic Title.

I just wish I could find out the size, relative to the 6V, before I order one.

I have been playing on one.

It's a good mouthpiece and does just what it's designed for. It's basically a cross between a mello mouthpiece and a horn moutpiece with as much mass as they could slam on there. Mine however is some form of an early model and is not machined 100% correctly but it still plays decent. It warms the tone a lot, trying to inch closer to that french horn sound that we're never going to acheive. It also centers certain notes better and because of the mass, less vibrations make it easier on your lip. Though the rim is thinner than a standard mello mouthpiece, hence the resemblence to a horn mouthpiece. I play on a UMI 6V otherwise, which sounds fine if you don't wanna shell out that much money, but yes they are overall a very good mouthpiece.

xstevex,

Is your IYM mouthpiece wider or narrower than the UMI (cup diameter)?