Bugler's hall of fame

from YEA.ORG

Al Chez Selected For Bugler's Hall of Fame

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Crossmen Staff

Congratulations goes out to Crossmen's own brass instructor Al Chez, who has been selected to become a member of the Buglers Hall of Fame for the 2006 class! Other inductees include Jeff Kievit, Bill Hayes, Ernie Fesler, Ted Sasso Jr, Bonnie Ott Thompson, Michale DelVecchio, George DelMonte and Frank Bergdoll Jr.

The Buglers Hall of Fame was formed in 2005, and recognizes distinguished performers who have had a longtime influence on buglers young and old.

The induction ceremony and performance will take place during this year’s Barnum Festival Champions on Parade concert to be held the weekend of June 30 July 1, 2006 in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Al Chez advises the 2006 Crossmen brassline

congrats to Al. a true bugler.

from YEA.ORG

Al Chez Selected For Bugler's Hall of Fame

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Crossmen Staff

Congratulations goes out to Crossmen's own brass instructor Al Chez, who has been selected to become a member of the Buglers Hall of Fame for the 2006 class! Other inductees include Jeff Kievit, Bill Hayes, Ernie Fesler, Ted Sasso Jr, Bonnie Ott Thompson, Michale DelVecchio, George DelMonte and Frank Bergdoll Jr.

The Buglers Hall of Fame was formed in 2005, and recognizes distinguished performers who have had a longtime influence on buglers young and old.

The induction ceremony and performance will take place during this year’s Barnum Festival Champions on Parade concert to be held the weekend of June 30 July 1, 2006 in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Al Chez advises the 2006 Crossmen brassline

Is there anything on-line about the Bugler's Hall of Fame, like a list of past inductees?

That's quite a brass section:

A Saints/Garfield/Tower of Power alum now with Letterman and the (very fortunate) Crossmen

The woman who set the standard and tamed the mellophone as a solo instrument

The Muchacho who played with Mangione and on Broadway (and produces Vanessa Williams)

The original 1954 "Cherry Pink" soloist who also led BS to several national titles

The St. Kevin's star who is arguably the greatest junior corps French Horn ever

A player/instructor of the Skyliners ('50-'62), who has taught thousands (including Jeff Sacktig)

The great "Echano" soloist of the '70s who un-retired in the '90s and won best DCA soloist

The man who turned the contrabass into a solo instrument with the Sunrisers, and taught Wayne Downey

The extraordinary Cabs sop soloist from '54 to '63, whose licks the rest of us tried to copy off the Fleetwoods

Many from this group will be featured performers at the Barnum. I would't miss it for all the valve oil in Saudi Arabia.

Congratulations! Horns up!

2005 Buglers Hall of Fame Inductees

John "Grass" Urspruch, Jimmy D'Amico

Maynard Ferguson, Gene Marotta

Kenton Clarke, Ken "Ace" Petersen

George "Sidemouth" Richardson, Ray Eyler

Tom "Bucky" Swan, Art Hlywa

Jimmy Maldonado, Riggie Laus

Tommy Martin, Eddie Hayward

Johnny Guarino, Dick Burns

Joe DeFiglia, "Baby John" Chalmus

Frank Dorritie, Ruben Ariola

John "Screech" Arietano, Bobby Gaff

Ritchee Price, Cliff Richmond

Jim Centorino, Bill Hightower

Frank Ponzo, John Simpson

Thanks, Russell.

Props from a bona-fide Scuzz Brother mean a lot. And how about your old Stockton home-girl Bonnie making that "A" list? When she played "Rainy Days" in the Commodores there were hardly any young women playing solos in the nationally ranked corps. She paved the way for so many others, from Barbara Maroney of the Cadets to that soulful Colts bari soloist in "'Til There Was You" last summer.

Bah, I really want to go to that. The one time living in CT would pay off in any way, shape or form....and I'll be in Boston rehearsing/parading.

oh well. Kind of nice to see some familiar names that even I've played with and people that have had impacts on me, such as Art and Ritchee.

good advice I got from Ritchee when I was about 9-10 years old at the Hurricanes home show, "always listen to your parents, they just know better than you do and they'll steer you in the right direction"

good guy right there. anyone who plays with him is very lucky.

• 11 months later...