I&E Pieces

MellophoniusMajorus

This is about a contra bass, but I'll add it anyway. Cliffy White won I & E at 1980 nationals playing Flight of the Bumblebee on contra, would that be something just that wouldn't work in 2003???

Hmm...well, to be completely frank, it's not that hard to play that; just involves a lot of flailing valves, and if you have it in a decent key it's not too bad. I'd have to hear what he played to really tell. Today, however, I think they look for a greater sense of musicality and a challenge for the performer. I disagree that a challenge always has to be in terms of technical skills (as it's easy oftentimes to be flashy without actually having to work very hard), as pieces that exhibit lots of musicality can be as or more hard than some technical pieces.

So...I would have to say that it probably wouldn't do as well, although I'd have to give it a listen. He might have done something a little unique with it that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.