Great Lakes Drum Corps.

Is that Maple City Cadets, I think I only saw them once and that was long ago.I'll check corpsrep site to see if they have any pics posted. we got a "Name that corps" going. Keep posting pics Old Ohio. What year did U.S.Open end?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some Marauders pics at home...I'll try to scan 'em in this weekend.

Has anyone got a higher rez (larger size) posed shot of the Iron Brigade from the US Open? The only one I've ever seen is too small to print and I'd love a copy (I was DM).

The unidentified corps in light blue may be the Ottawa Crusaders from Ottawa, Illinois. I think they had that kind of uniform.

Alright Paul, thats a good guess, I don't remember them all that well but, I do seem to recall them wearing blue uniforms. I'll again look to corpsrep for some type of verification. The DCI or "Big Corps" prior to DCI got lots of pr :music: . but here is where the small corps get their time in the sun :D . Love DCP!

The unidentified corps in light blue may be the Ottawa Crusaders from Ottawa, Illinois. I think they had that kind of uniform.

Here are two blurry pictures of the Ottawa Crusaders from 1958. It's not the same uniform, but it is years and years ealier than 1972, so they likely changed.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/pau...no/0634305c.jpg

If the pictures don't show up, they are in the "old corps photos" thread back on March 12, post #5606

Edited by Paul Milano

I don't think that in 1972 the Otawa Crusaders, would have made a trip to Toledo, OH for a contest.

I thought it might be the Blue Devils from Lima, OH but I don't think they lasted thru the late 60's.

When I took the picture 35 years ago, I could name all the corps, now I can't remember what I'm suppose to remember........

If the unknown corps is from Ohio, there are several corps that I have no information on,

Imperiald Guard, Ashtabula, OH

Grenadiers, North College Hill, OH

Northernlights, Lakewood, OH

Blue Devils, Lima, OH

Vikings, Mt Healthy, OH

Ohio Crusaders & Cardinals, Newark, OH

Bengal lancers, Batavia, OH

Two things about the corps, (1) The drums look like the drums that the Bellefontaine Junior Angels used in 1968.

(2) The flags look like flags that the Black Shields of Sparta carried, and I think that they bought the Angels uniforms....

Not the Glassmen.....

Here is a short list of the GLDCA corps, I remember

Saginaires, Praesidium, Bandettes, Highlanders, Glassmen, Midshipmen, Bluecoats, Dutch Boy cadets, Flint Guardsmen, Flying Dutchmen, Maple City cadets, Marion Cadets, Marion Jets, Rose City Guardsmen, Royal Coachmen, Townesmen, Caballaros, General Putmans men, Miami Valley lancers, Iron Brigade, Royal Lancers, Maurarders and Buckeyes.

and Buccaneers, Diplomats, Lionettes, Marching Angels, Midlanders, etc.

Regards,

John Swartz

PS. Paul's idea that the mystery corps is the Ottawa Crusaders sounds right to me. They did have blue uniforms similar to the one in the picture.

If were going to do something on the (GLDCA), let's start a corps list, Corps name, City St., Prov., Colors and years.

I'll start out with the corps listed in the 1976 GLD&BC Championship contest, held July 31, 1976 at Saginaw, MI and others that have been mentined here.

I read that there were over 70 according to Bob Brady ????

Bandettes, Sault Ste. Marie, ON

Bluecoats, Canton, OH

Blue Water Buccaneers, Sarnia,ON

Caballaros, Cleveland, OH

Diplomats, Sarnia,ON

Dutch Boy Cadets, Kitchener, ON

Flying Dutchmen, Kitchener, ON

General Putman's Men, Ottawa,OH

Glassmen, Toledo,OH

Golden garrison, Ypsilanti,MI

Green Hornets, Grand Rapids,MI

Guardsmen, Flintt,MI

Highlanders, Ypsilanti,MI

Iron Brigade, Detroit,MI

Lionettes, Sarnia,ON

Maple City Cadets, LaPorte,IN

Marching Angels, sarnia,ON

Marion Cadets, Marion,OH

Marion Jets, Marion,OH

Marauders, Madison Heights,MI

Miami Valley lancers, Tipp City,OH

Midlanders,London,ON

Midshipmen, Petoskey,MI

Pretorians, Flushing,MI

Pricedium, Riverview,MI

Rangers,Taylor,MI

Rose City Guardsmen, Windsor,ON

Royal Coachmen, Grand Rapids, MI

Royal Lancers, Wyandotte,MI

Saginaires, Saginaw,MI

Townesmen, leamington,ON

Vanguards, St. Clair Shores,MI

I think the bigger corps, like Northstar and CMPB were members of the ODCA and did a few shows with the GLDCA ???

Edited by old ohio drum corps

1. Pretorian, Flushing Mich. Red, White & Blue cadet uniforms
  2. Praesidium All Girl, Riverview Mich. Maroon & White dresses w/Gladiator helmets
  3. Rangers, Taylor Mich. Blue Silks on Dk Blue pants w/Shakos
  4. Diplomats, Mt Clemens Mich. ???????? ?????
  5. Golde Garrison, Ypsilanti Mich. ??????? ?
  6. Green Hornets, Grand Rapids Mich. ???????? ?????.

This is a few of the corps I knew people I marched with or instructors we had marched with. This is turning into a good thread, and in the end why...... Mr. Drum Corps, John Agnello. This guy was so dedicated to youth activities and like him or not, he new what to do and say about pumping the crowd on supporting youth. God Bless you, John