There needs to be a Drum Corps show in Knoxville Tn

I live here in Knoxville and for several years I have felt that there should be a show here. There is one in the next county every year at the sevierville show but I think knoxville could bring in a lot of money. We do have the University Of tennessee (as much as I hate them) where the stadium completely fill holds at least 109k ppl I think the press box side could hold a good number of people and its nice and big.

I live here in Knoxville and for several years I have felt that there should be a show here. There is one in the next county every year at the sevierville show but I think knoxville could bring in a lot of money. We do have the University Of tennessee (as much as I hate them) where the stadium completely fill holds at least 109k ppl I think the press box side could hold a good number of people and its nice and big.

and therein lies the problem-- the field! As a 3 year member of the marching band there (2000-2003) i think the athletic department let us on the field a total of... 3 times? each for about 2 hours a practice... in 3 years! I can tell you it would take an act of God to allow any event/show other than a Div 1 college football game to take place there... (go vols!)

as a side note- there is a HECK of a show in sevier county there this year-- should be well worth the price of admission... if only i wasnt on the other side of the state now i'd probably make it to that...

Edited by nero14

the Appalachian Sound Brass & Percussion Ensemble (which is becoming the Appalachian Sound Drum & Bugle Corps next year by the way :)) is having the Cadets MUSIC IS COOL! Workshop at Carson Newman College in Jefferson City, TN on Tues. June 20th.

The FUN! Youth Organization (sponsoring group of Appalachian Sound) would like to begin hosting an annual drum corps competition (possibly at Carson Newman because of the large, new, turf stadium) however, we're not sure yet if this would be possible since it is so close to the Sevierville, TN contest. One good thing though is the Sevierville show is popping at the seems (remember seeing fans recently sitting on the visitor's side) so who knows. Think there would be enough support in the region?

Other locations we're looking into as a possibility would be a high school in Kingsport, TN, or UVA-Wise in Wise, VA.

As we begin down the drum corps path next season... we'll be needing some more help on our team... so if anyone reading this post in the region might be interested in helping out, please email us at director@appalachiansound.org and let us know.

tks!

http://www.myspace.com/appalachiansound

http://www.appalachiansound.org

Edited by FUN! Youth Organization

You kind of have one. Sevierville, TN could almost qualify as a Knoxville suburb.

You kind of have one. Sevierville, TN could almost qualify as a Knoxville suburb.

Yeah but see I march corps and I think it would be cool to have a hometown show well Im from NC but live here.

Or maybe the Colliseum in Nashville?

Unfortunately, I don't know if the Coliseum in Nashville will ever host a drum corps show. The good citizens of Nashville paid for the stadium with their tax money, but Bud Adams controls completely what happens in the Coliseum, and so far has always said no to anything like drum corps. A real stinky situation!

May I suggest starting up a local organizing committee?

Unfortunately, I don't know if the Coliseum in Nashville will ever host a drum corps show. The good citizens of Nashville paid for the stadium with their tax money, but Bud Adams controls completely what happens in the Coliseum, and so far has always said no to anything like drum corps. A real stinky situation!

There are dozens of great stadiums in which to host a show.

Stay tuned.

I don't think Mashville's ever going to get another BIG show again. Not until Murf gets tired of hosting that cash cow down the road.