Olds P/R Soprano Mouthpiece?

Shadow_7

So I've been using a Schilke 15B on a Powerbore Soprano, and that works well for me. I have acquired a P/R Soprano and the Schilke piece doesn't work that well on it for me. My Kelly 3C works alright with it. And my Conn Mello 6 fits rather well in this soprano, and plays alright.

Does anyone know what mouthpiece works well for this horn? It's an Ultratone, F.E.Olds & Son, Fullerton, Calif on the bell stamp. I'm looking for a piece that is comfortable and easy to play on. Something at or larger than a 3C, but maybe not as big as a G&W M-2. Although I'm thinking the M-2 might be well matched to this horn.

Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been using a Schilke 15B on a Powerbore Soprano, and that works well for me. I have acquired a P/R Soprano and the Schilke piece doesn't work that well on it for me. My Kelly 3C works alright with it. And my Conn Mello 6 fits rather well in this soprano, and plays alright.

Does anyone know what mouthpiece works well for this horn? It's an Ultratone, F.E.Olds & Son, Fullerton, Calif on the bell stamp. I'm looking for a piece that is comfortable and easy to play on. Something at or larger than a 3C, but maybe not as big as a G&W M-2. Although I'm thinking the M-2 might be well matched to this horn.

Thanks.

Larger than a 3C? A Bach 3C??

Try a 1 1/2 C on it. It will take out the blatties and still be easy to control the pitch. A 1C or a 1 would be too big unless you are trying to "go orchestral" with it. These really old guys sort of need a bucket slapped on the end.

I have never played the 2 or 2C, so I cannot give you any feedback on them.

I play on a 1C on my Olds Ambassador trumpet and cornet. These are closely related to the bugles save for bell flare. So it might work. And then again I might be totally full of it . . .

:sshh:

I think the more important question is why would you go from a Kanstul Powerbore to an Olds Piston/Rotor?!?!?!?!?! :lol:

I would suggest an Olds mouthpiece, because you have to figure it would fit. I don't know the size comparisons, but there are a few up on eBay.

I think the more important question is why would you go from a Kanstul Powerbore to an Olds Piston/Rotor?!?!?!?!?!

Because it's much easier to polish chrome. It's also a much lighter horn with a bigger octave key.

On my two Valve Ultratone II I use a Olds 7C Great Mouthpiece for it, and pretty reasonable. The larger mouthpiece's don't sound good. 10 1/2 sounded terrible on it, the 3C isn't good either. I the olds 7C matched it really well. Weird considering I don't like it on my Olds Ambassador Trumpet.. But the Ultratone II Two Valve soprano was designed more like the later SuperStar Trumpets Olds made, with a larger bore and bell. I don't have a V/R Soprano to compare,

Edited by sonofjabba

On my two Valve Ultratone II I use a Olds 7C Great Mouthpiece for it, and pretty reasonable.

At current I'm using my Conn CKB Mello 6 on it, and that works alright, better than the 3C even. The Conn Mello 6 is the smallest piece I have with me, although it has a large cup for a trumpet piece. Even though it is kind of a small cup for a mello piece.

My bach mello 6 plays easier on it, and is the biggest piece I have with me. But the bach mello piece has horrid intonation(mega flat high G) on the P/R Sop and doesn't sound much like a soprano on it. But it slots well and blows freely.

My usual Schilke 15B is very stuffy on it. And the powerbore soprano depth ring on the schilke mouthpiece sits about a half inch further out on the P/R Olds. I'm really wanting to get the G&W M-2 to try on it. If only because stainless steel and chrome would look cool together. But in all honesty, I think the smaller pieces would be a better match for the horn. Probably not me the player, but the horn seems to want something with a decent cup, large throat and smaller inner rim.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Bach 1C for the P/R ultratone. It seems well matched, although a little big for anything rangey. I tried a 1 1/4C, a 1 1/2C, and a straight 1(no C). The 1C played the easiest and had the cutting outdoorsy sound I'd rather have. The others were relatively stuffy in comparison.

I tried the 1C on the powerbore and it's as stuffy as the 15B is on the ultratone. But the 1C on the ultratone seems to be alright. But that could just be 1st day super chops. In all likelyhood, I'll probably never do more than play taps and build some endurance on the horn anyway. So the 1C should serve me well.

If I were to rank the pieces I have with me on the horns it would be something like this going from best to worse. NOTE: in this case, worse just means not as good as, they are all good mouthpieces, or I wouldn't have them with me while I'm away from home.

for the P/R Ultratone - Bach 1C, Conn CKB Mello 6, Kelly 3C, Schilke 15B

for the Powerbore - Schilke 15B, Kelly 3C, Bach 1C, Conn CKB Mello 6

The Bach 1C takes a mature face (read: pretty strong) to keep it totally in tune in the high end. But as a tubist that uses huge mouthpieces in many cases, I am used to that weirdness that a 1C will introduce to your playing (until you get used to it). For me, wide, deep coups tend to make the extremes of range "collapse inward." The top end is flat and the low end is sharp. I no longer have this problem and cannot remember how long it took me go grow into my first big piece. But, man, when you are cranking a big piece can sound really great. HOWEVER . . . when you go too big you will sound like you are "working harder than you need to" to others.

Have at it, man! It might just be the answer to your Olds P/R dilemma.

Edited by Periphery

So anyway, while I was having the spit valve corks replaced on the P/R sop the other week, the repairman noticed a crack in the leadpipe. Which would explain why it was taped at that location. I have since removed that 30yo tape and retaped it with modern white electrical tape. And low and behold, it's a much easier horn to play. Even my Schilke 15B works on it now, although the 1C is still better playing on it. I guess I'll need to take care of that defect. It's hardly noticeable visually, but seems to make as much difference in the playability of the horn as playing with the spit valve cork open. Well, not that extreme, but a pretty close comparison.