Laser Bells

They were manufactured and sold by a company owned by Kim Lloyd, who used to be on Suncoast Sound's percussion staff. The instrument had quite a distinctive sound, more ringy than regular bells...almost like crotales but with more piercing overtones.

The sets I saw were more than one octave.

So Mike....do you know if they are still available? We had them at my high school and I would like to use them for a show.

It's been a few years since I've seen them on display. I haven't seen Kim Lloyd, either. Have you tried Googling Kim Lloyd and Laser Bells? Does Suncoast Sound have an alumni association? Maybe someone who was with Suncoast Sound knows how to get ahold of Kim.

When I talked to Kim last, he was in Atlanta and ran a company called Great Southern Percussion. That has been a while. His brother Doug also marched Suncoast. Kim was the corps director in 87 and 88 I believe.

Laser bells were pretty cool. I believe they were two octaves though. The bars were very similar to OM percussion products - like their energy chimes. They were mounted on a board - not very fancy, but very cool sounding. The company was CMI who started out making drum carriers that were VERY popular in the 80s.

I miss Suncoast!

Mike

You are sick! SICK! They were all melted down for the good of humanity!!! Save yourself the trouble and get a nice set of crotales. Yes, they'll be out of tune in three months, but at least they're not laser bells!