Another B-ham review

Alright just like getting to the show, I'm late with getting this out.

Teal Sound

Magic

Southwind

I missed due to the fact that my car broke down and my hour and 1/2 trip became a 4 hour trip :(

Spirit - I saw them Tuesday and there run was better that night (actually much better). Some first show butterflies. What I did notice again was that I did not like the staging at impact points in the show. It seemed to me that having the corps a little father up will do some good. Covering the field is a good thing but having your park and bark section behind and around the back hash isn't a good thing. I'm sure these things will change. Box 5 is in this hornlines future.

Phantom- I dare anybody to look at the male guard members and not think "Bring out the gimp". Ok.... Show... That's right. I like the 1st half a ton! It is so agressive and the hornline will knock you back a few rows. The ballad on seems to slow down and the closer didn't do anything for me... Was it perfomed well... OH GOD YES!! Effective.. not yet. For me is that it is like a few ideas thrown together and nothing reached a climax. The closer felt like several endings. That said, I didn't like Phantom's show last season tilll they put in the rewrites. I feel we are in for the same thing this season. The talent is there just not the total package yet. That being said, they where still my favorite of the night.

Cadets- I like to see people push the envelope, I really do. If I'm not comfortable during a show, then it is my type of show. That being said Bravo! for trying something new HOWEVER the show stinks. The corps is sooooooo good but the design is just...well.... designer masterbation, it's only good if you are the designer. The hornline plays very well and the ballad can be something IF they took out the vocal. It's not the fact that they are using voice (I don't mind vocals), it's the fact that it covers up all the moving lines in the brass book... oh and don't get me started on the mix of the vocals (I run live sound)... yuck. Drumline can play but the book sounds like its been done before, and it is a constant ram session and not at all music. I will not see this show again to 1/4's and I hope that it is better. To what the other reviewers said, the applause was polite at best and delayed, honestly the most unusual reaction I've ever seen. That said... They will still be top 3, they really are good.

Edited by bssop97

Phantom- The closer felt like several endings.

That's Mahler for you.....the apotheosis to the apotheosis to the apotheosis etc

Last movement of the 3rd is probably the best example of that