Dexterity and Speed

jtbone

Alright, I'm a trombone player that's trying to learn euphonium. My big problem is I can't move my fingers real fast. For example, chromatic Bb up to middle F...I just can't play it fast. My fingers get all mixed up. Do ya'll have any suggestions for me?

start slow doing scales.....and slowly increase speed. All you need is time and practice and the rest will follow. Dont worry so much about speed but more about tone and pitch :)

kimela

Make sure your hand is in a natural position; i.e., the fingers are slightly curved, fingerprints resting on the top of the valves. Too many people try to play with straight fingers or press at an angle down on the valves, which will inhibit speed. If your fingers are straight, you're having to work too hard to play. If you're pressing at an angle down on the valves, the valves will scrape on the side of the casings. This will cause wear that will cause the valve to stick and eventually damage the valve.

Also, make sure you're not letting your fingers come up off the valves when you release a valve. That way, you don't have to move your fingers as far to play and can play faster.

Good luck with the euph!

Here's a tip if you have some issue with keeping your fingers curved. My professor uses this with his piano students... use your thumb as sort of a base if you will, and take your index finger, and push down on your thumb (as if it were a valve). and just repeat with your othe two fingers. This should make the muscles in your fingers stronger...and help you to keep them curved. Oh, btw, do like... 100 or so on each finger, and then move on to the next. Doing them daily would probalby help as well. =)

And something learned a long time ago... accuracy over speed. Play them only as fast as you can cleanly!! =)

Oh, and see if you can lose the mental block... b/c you CAN do it... =)

toodles... hope it all works for you. Keep us updated!!