The Magic is going to win DCI this year!

It looks like your kid is throwing the finger.

No..lol..he's giving the "peace" sign . :P

And as for when anyone ever "questions' the Administration of MAGIC, it is not a slam...I'm not bagging on the kids, never have been, if you read my posts you will see who I have problems with, not the staff teaching (hope you get paid) not the kids marching but well...just think about this..if you can.

BUT and this is a big but, hopefully the administration has learned from past mistakes on how you treat people who want to reach out and help and quit running folks off. It sounds like maybe they are on the path to learning..we shall see.

We didn't "quit" on them. When Jimmy Russo had to "resign", I began to wonder how many directors will it take to run that corps, I decided it was time to move on.

Now that is all I have to say on the matter.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to chime in and defend Magic.

The kids worked their stones off in the attempt to make a show with MAJOR design problems to be the best it could be. As I joined the staff in JULY it was obvious to a novice designer that there wasnt much communication in the design of the show. Because of staging difficulties between the brass and percussion there many bumps in the road that were not fixable. It seems that the corps also got a late start in learning the show. So put them behind as they left for tour and add the design problems and what can you expect?

I didnt witness any kids starving or begging for food, as the corps ate as good as any other DCI corps, for sure. There were problems with transportation and possibly too many shows to deal with, but I believe that the management realized this during the season. I would doubt very much that this will happen again. BUT they ate very well...and got what every other corps at the level of "less than top 12" could ever expect.

Having to go on early at every competition cut into rehearsal time drastically, as most rehearsals were over as the top 12 corps were getting up for breakfast.

Why doesnt everyone give the kids and staff that DIDNT quit on them credit for giving their all until the bitter end, instead of looking for reasons to slam Magic on DCP.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to watch a product with little hope of achievement get to the point it got to. Even though the scores didnt show the progress, that corps improved tremendously in the last month of the season. I personally couldnt believe the inconsistency in the judging as captions would go from 16's to 13's the next day. And it was different captions as well...nothing had any continuity. Oh yeah and there were no critiques to talk to judges in August for NON finalists. So you get a tape and score, with no explanation of why the same section went down 2.5 from one day to the next...

Oh BTW, the staff that put the show together was not on tour as they all quit after they realized the show wasnt going to work.

Thanks for letting me be a part of it Magic...yes there were bumps, but I doubt that they were any worse than the similarly grouped corps had. And I would think that this is not only Magics problem. It seems to me that DCI didnt seem to care as much for the NON finalists.

Donny Allen

Magic Brass Staff 06

Donny,

You and Tucker did a great job! I heard all the brass kids talking about y'all. And, from what I've heard, one of the main reasons for returnig brass members is to work with Tucker again. Hopefully, he'll be back. (BTW, does Tucker have a first name? I've never heard any of the kids refer to him as anything but Tucker!!)

I am grateful that Magic provided my son an entree into this whole society called drum corps. We probably wouldn't have agreed to it if he had to fly across the country at 16. But, only being a few hours away allowed us, as parents, to feel comfortable letting go.

He had a blast this summer and can't wait for next summer. In fact, he can't wait for the next FIVE summers in drum corps.

The kids were amazing. There were always "thank you's" at meals. Things did not always go well, but I never saw the kids taking it out on each other. They are a class act.

I agree with you about the scores. I'm not a judge (and don't play one on tv), but I do know that from crowd reaction and comments, everyone really enjoyed their show. Yes, it's disappointing to work that hard (we were around enough to see the hours they kept) and still place where they did - especially in the caste system of DCI - but they kept their positive attitudes and just kept plugging away.

It's my hope that you get a lot of veterans for the 07 season. I would guess that the lack of returning members and volunteers in the last few years has to have an impact. My son is hoping to move on to another corps next summer. (Has nothing to do with you and Tucker, tho. The kids have TONS of respect for you both.)

Edited by texasmom

My son is hoping to move on to another corps next summer. (

Texas mom,

I'm glad that you and your son still love drum corps, and will find a new home next season. Unfortunately for the Magic, but fortunate for other corps, the Magic has become a "feeder corps" for other (perhaps better?) drum corps. In 2006, there were 11 veterans that returned to the Magic... but the other drum corps that benefited from experienced 2005 Magic members include: Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders, Spirit of JSU, Cadets, Blue Devils, Blue Stars. There were even members that went to Div II corps in 2006...

I laugh at the 'lil Lancer that promotes peace and harmony, and I wonder why I never met the mom? :) I'm a drum corps survivor from the 70s, and my daughter marched in Magic in 2005, and we never met! :rolleyes: I still wonder what happened to the Bingo Hall last year? <**> I wonder where Paul, Michelle, and Jean - volunteers of the Century, in my book- where they landed? :huh::huh::lol: I have no clue.

My daughter has transformed from a gangly teenager to a beautiful young lady. She has no ill-will against the Magic, and neither do I. It was simply an experience for her- kind of like a trial period before you are really committed- and she liked the experience. She was happy to see her marching comrades from 2005 at DCI in August, and even though we live near Orlando, she will continue to get on a plane and travel half-way across the country to experience the "REAL THING".

Texas mom, I have no idea where your son is thinking about going, and I won't tell you where my daughter landed (and plans to return in 2007), but I will ask you to consider checking the forum pages of individual drum corps sites. If you go to the Magic's website, the last (sad) post was from Curt, the "tour" director, asking the kids on 8/17.... what should we do next year? Sad. No response. Not one member has found the time to give any input- positive or negative. But if you go to other Drum Corps web sites, you'll see the positive attitude that is embraced by the members, parents, and alumni- the kind of attitude that you'll eventually see on the field in 2007.

Life is short. Capital Regiment had major SNAFUs. The Magic still didn't find its new beginning, or a transformation. Imagine that- and recognize that some things don't change. I DO look forward to the new baby picture, with his new gestures, in the future. I look forward to 2007, where the good, the bad, and the ugly, will still be found on DCP.

Edited by BL1977

In 2006, there were 11 veterans that returned to the Magic... but the other drum corps that benefited from experienced 2005 Magic members include: Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders, Spirit of JSU, Cadets, Blue Devils, Blue Stars. There were even members that went to Div II corps in 2006...

IMO, this says all that ever needs to be said. :(