Garritan to release a Marching Library

walder

evidently they have finally answered the call for good sampling (via kontakt, etc) to be used with finale, sibelius, etc. The library will include all relative brass/woodwinds/percussion associated with marching bands/drum corps/concert bands. judging by their past successful endeavors, they will include articulations, notation and a variety playing environments that are exclusive to outdoor playing. Cant wait, this should be good.

Who are tapspace and vdl2 again?

http://www.garritan.com/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to see what they do for the marching percussion.

Yeah. There are so many different preferences for tuning marching drums. It'll be interesting to see what they choose.

Yeah. There are so many different preferences for tuning marching drums. It'll be interesting to see what they choose.

this is where the area is widely spread and one of the reasons i do not like vdl2, the tuning is poor and there is no real "ensemble sound"...only individual sounds with re-processing...at the end of the day, it sounds like a studio recording, as do other similar products (Digital Drumtech / RowlOff) HOWEVER, vdl2 does have a competitive/similar product that compares to Sonic Implants and Existing Garritan libraries, minus battery marching percusion.

To include tuning schemes that compensates everyone's taste, as i have discovered, it would be far too complicated and too large a file. we toyed with the concept of different styles of tuning: "old school", "70's", etc. it gets too large. but these ideas are shelved until technology changes to make this more accessible. I think taking a middle of the road approach of what is current in today's trends was the best viable answer.

Edited by walder

this is where the area is widely spread and one of the reasons i do not like vdl2, the tuning is poor and there is no real "ensemble sound"...only individual sounds with re-processing...at the end of the day, it sounds like a studio recording

If you actually owned VDL2 you would know you can pick from single player or samples of the full line playing. Basses are also sample solo and unison. You can also tune the drums, and loading the samples into Kontakt lets you tweak even further. The reason for the "studio" sound is to remove all reverb so that most computers can play back a full drumline without melting. Furthermore, if you wanted a dry/indoor sound and the samples were only recorded from the box in a stadium, you couldn't dial back the reverb. VDL2 is designed so that someone with DAW software knowledge can make any performance situation they want.

If you actually owned VDL2 you would know you can pick from single player...

my my my, a bit presumptious aren't we? (I guess the kid's assuming that if you have ever used VDL products, you would be completely blown away. Im not, but I am impressed.)

Still nothing sounds like a real ensemble sound, it all in post processing. I am aware of what options you have within the library, but Im talking about the sound quality, not App options.

oh I am aware of vdl2 and Tapspace, I worked for a short time with Native Instruments (a german company that makes many products for music production, sequencing, hardware and software apps, including Kontakt). I had the opportunity to play around with a lot of different software, compatible, including VDL1 and VDL2. I just didnt think VDL or VDL2's stuff was all that hype. But, at the time it was the only professional bundled library with marching percussion sounds. The inside scoop is that Digital Drumtech, RowlOff, Tapspace, Garritan and SonicImplants are all planning on re-distributing or distributing a new and improved libraries focussing on marching perucssion or the marching idiom. I guess it will become a buyer's market in an already crowded and small market. None the less, have fun creating with whatever applications you use, this was something not realistic for the novice 10 years ago.

Edited by walder

oh I am aware of vdl2 and Tapspace, I worked for a short time with Native Instruments (a german company that makes many products for music production, sequencing, hardware and software apps, including Kontakt). I had the opportunity to play around with a lot of different software, compatible, including VDL1 and VDL2.

Kerby4u, Dakman, Walder... whoever you claim to be this week. VDL1 was not a NI instrument so you never touched it even "IF" you worked at NI. VDL2 had a very small closed testing group that was run through tapspace, not NI, so you didn't touch that either.

evidently they have finally answered the call for good sampling (via kontakt, etc) to be used with finale, sibelius, etc. The library will include all relative brass/woodwinds/percussion associated with marching bands/drum corps/concert bands. judging by their past successful endeavors, they will include articulations, notation and a variety playing environments that are exclusive to outdoor playing. Cant wait, this should be good.

Who are tapspace and vdl2 again?

http://www.garritan.com/

I'm not sure Mr. Garritan would appreciate you badmouthing his (sort of) competitor. It's classless.