What happened to the Cascades

As little as Sal and I saw eye to eye in 2002 I really started to appreciate his influence in the corps in 2003. Honestly, staff changes have hurt the corps. Trying to develop an identity with developing ideas in teaching, and how the corps should sound is very difficult. In 2002 we were all really green and didn't know that success wasn't really any option. In 2003 we were too full of ourselves to realize that we actually had to work hard to be successful again; and only realized it too late into the season to change our positions.

In 2004 Seattle tried to go a different direction with its show and go with something that reflected the PNW: nature. It didn't quite jive with the audience too well but was a better complete package than in 2003.

I would say that Seattle's success is 50% staff and design and 50% member expectations. Members are focusing more on the placement and getting back into finals than actually cleaning the show and having fun while performing it. It takes maturity to learn that aspect of things most of the time, but it's also taken 3 years now without the right effect.

I think starting almost 2 weeks later than most corps this year has something to do with their current score, as well. Crossmen didn't exactly come out blazing either.

This is nothing new though. Every year they start alldays in mid June becasue so many kids have school, that is the downside of having younger kids.

The announcement that Sal Leone would no longer be their director, the bingo operation, Apollo 13 (the staff bus, which Jimmy swears is now fixed), not having souvies available are all things that have led to things the corps has overcome. Even a new financial director, and a LOT of staff changes to try and get the right blend has been in the mix as well.

:) I am amazed at how much attention Apollo 13 gets around here.

This is an interesting thread...I'm not much for public hypothesis, but I might have some good facts for further thought/discussion.

-- We have spent less than $300 on Apollo repairs this tour so far. That is the best ever by mid-July. [And Dan, it only broke once last year, with the starter going out. Geez...that poor bus gets no respect] It sounds great BTW. If you sees on the road come sit in the drivers seat and see if you can even hear it start. :)

-- Our reefer did break down. It has broken twice a year since we bought it in 2001. Turns out it was meant to cool bananas in Seattle, not freeze ice cream in Texas. The new one is twice as powerful and under warranty until after tour. That thing has been on my hit list for 3 years now and so I am glad to have that finally solved correctly.

-- Our long-time Brass Caption Head, Steve Menefee is on tour with us now. So is long-time Visual Caption Head Jon Freeman. Our guard staff is the same as the last 2 summers as well. The percussion staff is being led by veteran staffers Matt Little and Pat Charles. Of the 20 folks on our staff this year, 8 are rookies. Of those 8, 5 are Cascades alumni. Most everyone with us has seen the history of the corps over the last fews years and is well placed to help us grow.

-- We closed our Bingo on May 15th, but have not seen any cash from it in almost 18 months. It covered overhead things like offices and storage, though. We've worked hard to move the office and stay functional, all while putting the corps out on the field. Our gambling license is still active and we are working on multiple options to raise revenue through it in a non-smoking world.

-- Sal's departure in March was pretty abrupt. Catching up on a lot of transitional issues has monopolized my time from then until now. The corps has dedicated and loyal boardmembers, staff, kids, alumni and fans. We have gone through so much as an organization this spring, that I know we are going to be just fine. I think any one of the issues we faced would have folded a less beloved corps. That says a lot about the Cascades, to me.

-- I depart for tour on Monday and will stay until the end. [Hallelujah!] While I don't add any abilities that that staff doesn't already possess many times better, I am a coordinator by nature. I think all of the elements are there in the show, we just need to dig and make sure everything is timed correctly and coming off well. Sometimes not all the synapses are firing and it takes a fresh view to make it obvious. I think you can all expect to see an amazing rate of growth in the next 3 weeks.

I think everything from here is moving upward and outward. The kids are just the greatest. It breaks my heart every time I have to leave them and come back to my desk.

Jimmy

I wish Cascades all the best of luck. After marching last season, I do know that there was a very big desire from the vets and rookies both to get into Finals...but it's just a matter have having the right combination. The brass was incredible last year... but, you know, sometimes we were blocked out by the narration. So what. It wasn't our year, maybe this year won't be either. But once they get that mix back, they'll be even better.

One thing I love, and frustrates me the most, about Cascades is the risks they take. Sometimes it's too much, and nobody gets it, like last year. But with great risks comes the possibilty of great rewards, and it is admireable.

Can't wait to see everyone in Atlanta :)