Cadets thoughts and some singing insights and pondering

After seeing the complete cadets show the past week in Benson, NC (note: was a standstill performance in a gym due to weather) I came off the show with a bipolar read of the situation.

The Opening, Absolutely phenomenal, I love this music, its fast paced and exciting, very memorable and just "fun"

The Ballad, I like the Brass, they sound great, too many suspensions, overall brass voicing is good, singing is awful (more on that in a second)

The Closer, [JAY! ITS TIME TO REWRITE!] I think the closer is cluttered by two many counter-melodic voices and rhythms. It seems like too much. I thought the opener was about the best thing I've ever heard Jay right, but the closer hit the other end of the spectrum, just way too much. Complexity is great when its done tastefully.

Anyway about the ballad and singing. I'm fine with singing in drum corps if its done well. The singer in this instance seems to be the mistake. Perhaps if there was to be an audition for the vocal part we could get some better talent. I think she has an "okay" voice but does not have enough experience. There are plenty of vocal majors in the country that I'm sure would love to sing with a corps.

Does anyone know if a corps can offer to cover all expenses (not paying you but not require you to pay corps dues, like a scholarship) to be a part of the corps? Could the cadets offer this to the winner of this fantasy vocal "audition"?

Anyway just my two cents,

Oh and Go Cadets!

Just a little tough love today I guess...

Does anyone know if a corps can offer to cover all expenses (not paying you but not require you to pay corps dues, like a scholarship) to be a part of the corps? Could the cadets offer this to the winner of this fantasy vocal "audition"?

I seriously, seriously doubt it. Member dues are only a fraction of what it costs, per member, for a corps to go on the road. And especially with gas prices the way they are, everybody's pinching pennies.

Nice idea though. "Allentown Idol?" It would be hilarious to see what Simon would say.