I&E: Marimba solos

phoenix_aurora

From what I remember, the DCA crowd respond to gimmicks and fast notes. It's a different vinue and worth jumping into, but make sure you pick something more "audience friendly".

My advice to you is what Donna Ernst(former coordinator of DCA I/E) gave to me before she passed away when I meet her/ had dinner with her..."Relax and just have fun!!!"

P.S. Good luck with everything this season and Tell Ted Mascari , Carlos for Ky. said "Hi".

The next time I see Teddy I'll give him the message! He is definitly a great caption head to have around.

You are definitly right about the DCA crowd, they are so much fun to perform for...when they understand what you're playing. (;

Thanks for the article link, and the advice. Your song list is also quite usefull. (I LOVE Maslanka, haven't played any of his marimba solso, but have played "Crown of Thorns" (bells, and later vibes) and a couple of his Wind Ensemble works...so amazing!)

Just thought of another...

"The Four Rotations" by Eric Sammut. I've only performed #1 (dedicated to Gordon Stout), but for time-sake, it's worth a look at. The notes are the easy parts to learn... it's finding the music within.

too bad we don't have longer for I/E. Pieces like "Hook" by Graham Fitkin (marimba quartet for 4 Low-A's and kick-drums and rotos) would be PERFECT for the venue.