VK News and UPDATE!

This is exactly what drives us......realism and optimism.....not just myself. The entire board of directors, staff, and ALL others - the "behind" the scenes - people know exactly what needs to be done, what kind of foundation we will need to have in place BEFORE anything else happens.

I have to say that I'm encouraged by your presence on the administrative staff -- I mean, I don't know you or anything, but so often drum corps are started and staffed entirely by drum corps alumni-turned-fans who think more about how cool a tune will be on the field than they do about boring stuff like money and organization. The fact that the VKYAO has at least one non-drum corps person in its adminstration, whose lack of first-hand experience in drum corps is more likely to make her more objective about what needs to be done, is good to see.

And hey, I'm not bashing anyone else on the VKYAO administrative staff or drum corps alumni on the administrative staff of any other corps, but the fact remains that a drum corps is, before anything else, a 501c3 corporation and requires some sound business sense and organization if it's going to succeed. In 2001, we had a good staff and plenty of members, but the level of disorganization at the top was alarming. I don't want to go into details, but let's just say it's not a good idea to let someone be an administrative big cheese, a member of the BoD, a caption head, and a tech simultaneously.

I've gotten rather far afield here, but the point is... um... yay VK!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Luck and welcome back VK!!!

They're not Back, they are NEW.

They're not Back, they are NEW.

Quit being a #### and splitting hairs man. Just because it's not the people that drove the bus into the wall last time doesn't mean it's not going to be the velvet knights we knew and loved.

If VK goes D1 again... This guy will be marching there!

I'm gunna guess that D1 in 2007 might not happen??? yes, no???

If it's that important to you to support VK coming back, what difference does it make what division they are. I marched three years in a div I corps and aged out in a div III, which was the best experience of my life. I can honestly say the compettitive feeling is no different.

If it's that important to you to support VK coming back, what difference does it make what division they are. I marched three years in a div I corps and aged out in a div III, which was the best experience of my life. I can honestly say the compettitive feeling is no different.

Agreed. VK would be well-served by starting with whatever size ensemble they can reasonably field (and I'm not just talking in terms of marching members, but how big an ensemble the organization can support well). If you believe in VK, march with them no matter their size. Whether they're 35 or 135, they'll still be VK. Help them grow instead of letting others do all the work and jumping in later.

They are not coming back. In the real world, this would be called "identity theft." This is a new corps using a dead corps identity.

I'm all for more corps people. I support these people, they could call it Suncoast Sound and wear their uniforms, it wouldn't be a comeback of Suncoast Sound.

Ron you call this "Identity Theft", so in essence the Kingsmen Alumni Corps isn't the actual "Kingsmen" and the VK aren't the real "Velvet Knights". That is understood as a legal technicality. What's most important me is the spirit in which these organizations are being brought "back". I don't know enough to comment regarding the Kingsmen's Legacy, but as far as Velvet Knights these are my thoughts. Just because they're no longer the Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps with a bingo hall on Knott and Ball does not matter to me. What matters to me is some one is making an attempt to bring back the smart ###, wise cracking, sharp witted, spirit that that VK once had and most likely try to do it in the same spirit that your generation started. If they hadn't come back as "VK" and instead used another name say like the "Circus Clowns" of Los Angeles or whatever, and they did what the Velvet Knights did. People would comment on how amazingly like the Velvet Knights they were, and that much of their BOD are Velvet Knights.

What matters most to me is some one is trying to bring some life back into DCI in the style of the Velvet Knights. A legal technicality won't stop me from calling them what I want to call them. I think most will agree with me on that.

I will embrace them as if they have been on a 10 year magical mystery tour with out a map. Call me cheesy, call me nostalgic, call me wrong. I don't care. VK is back.

Edited by VKCanosUSMCContra

They are not coming back. In the real world, this would be called "identity theft." This is a new corps using a dead corps identity.

I'm all for more corps people. I support these people, they could call it Suncoast Sound and wear their uniforms, it wouldn't be a comeback of Suncoast Sound.

I guess what I feel is "coming back" is the spirit of the corps reincarnated in a new... er... host. Fully aware that the Velvet Knights themselves will not exist again as they used to, but I anticipate the embodiment of what they stood for in the new VK corps.