Opportunities and Threats of Drum Corps

Ok. I posted this under another thread and it was suggested I start a new topic for it.

I’ve been mostly lurking for a while now, trying to listen and learn, and trying to understand both sides of the amps/anti-amps debates and how they fit into the history and future of this activity cause y’all have piqued my curiosity. It seems to me that under the surface of this debate lies the more basic threats to the activity – socio-cultural changes and economic conditions that threaten this activity.

It seems everyone is aware of this and I’m sure it’s been discussed, but I haven’t run across these discussions yet. As it seems that the amps and changes to the activity are an effort to keep it current and competitive in the entertainment marketplace, what other kinds of things could be done to capitalize on opportunities and protect against threats?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - so maybe I didn't use the best title here. Probably should have called it the future of Drum Corps or some such thing.

The point is that I see a lot of passion here about the activity and a lot of concern about its future. There are lots of things that threaten this as an activity, such as gas prices, socio-cultural changes in the family and society. The activity is non-profit, but also has to compete with other non-profits for charitable contributions, while at the same time it also competes with other profitable activities for the entertainment dollar.

Besides the creativity issues, I would think that another reason for the push for amps and changes in the milieu are an effort to keep it competitive and alive. Surely this cannot be the only thing that is being done to help keep this activity current and marketable. I wondered if this body of caretakers has considered what other kinds of changes might be made or new things added to continue to keep the activity alive and competitive in its arena.

OK - so maybe I didn't use the best title here. Probably should have called it the future of Drum Corps or some such thing.

The point is that I see a lot of passion here about the activity and a lot of concern about its future. There are lots of things that threaten this as an activity, such as gas prices, socio-cultural changes in the family and society. The activity is non-profit, but also has to compete with other non-profits for charitable contributions, while at the same time it also competes with other profitable activities for the entertainment dollar.

Besides the creativity issues, I would think that another reason for the push for amps and changes in the milieu are an effort to keep it competitive and alive. Surely this cannot be the only thing that is being done to help keep this activity current and marketable. I wondered if this body of caretakers has considered what other kinds of changes might be made or new things added to continue to keep the activity alive and competitive in its arena.

MHO - but I think that the uniqueness of drum corps is - or was - it's cometetive edge. When it is changed to become more like something else - why bother to support it when the original is already out there?

I think the focus should be on differentiating corps from all other activities - highlighting the unique character of the corps experience.

Jim

In today's "consumer culture," it is becoming increasingly more difficult for any non-profit organization to prosper.

I think it can, but has to be markedted correctly. There is so much out there that I don't believe we can go head-to-head with the Brittany Spears concerts (yuck!) because they are mass-marketed and con millions of dollars out of unsuspecting teens (do I have an opinion here???)

If Brittany represents the mall, drum corps should be the specialty shop, catering to the tastes of a smaller but loyal market. If we try to be all things to all people I think it will ultimately fail.

In today's "consumer culture," it is becoming increasingly more difficult for any non-profit organization to prosper.

It is not necessarily a "consumer culture" that is making it more difficult for non-profits to prosper, it goes way higher than that. My wife runs a non-profit (org that helps people learn how to help themselves) in Minneapolis, and she has difficulty funding the organization from month to month. Even a few years ago this wasn't an issue. Our current political climate in the U.S. (read current executive and legislative administrations) have tried to create a paradigm shift in charitable giving/volunteering so that now much public money previously earmarked for cultural or arts based activities among others, is given to faith-based organizations. The neo-conservative movement has as much to do with the difficulty for non faith-based non-profits to prosper than a "consumer culture."

So blame Bush.

It is not necessarily a "consumer culture" that is making it more difficult for non-profits to prosper, it goes way higher than that. My wife runs a non-profit (org that helps people learn how to help themselves) in Minneapolis, and she has difficulty funding the organization from month to month. Even a few years ago this wasn't an issue. Our current political climate in the U.S. (read current executive and legislative administrations) have tried to create a paradigm shift in charitable giving/volunteering so that now much public money previously earmarked for cultural or arts based activities among others, is given to faith-based organizations. The neo-conservative movement has as much to do with the difficulty for non faith-based non-profits to prosper than a "consumer culture."

So blame Bush.

Slightly OT - In Canada our own recently elected Conservative (read - right wing) government has offered breaks for families putting kids into sports but nothing for kids in the arts. Part of the study that Laurier University is doing with Dutch Boy is a hope that someone will recognize the health and fitness benefits of drum corps.

Slightly OT

Part of the study that Laurier University is doing with Dutch Boy is a hope that someone will recognize the health and fitness benefits of drum corps.

I don't think it is off topic at all. I think these macro paradigms are at the heart of many of our current wealth disparity issues. And I am not only speaking of rich versus poor regarding income, but sports versus arts, private enterprise versus public, etc.

There was a great story during the 1993 finals broadcast on PBS (in the U.S.) about some basic studies done with the Star of Indiana and Indiana University that showed some startling results of the fitness and effort a drum corps member exerts during practice/show. A tenor player was hooked up to some breathing apperatus and the results showed his heart rate, exhalation rate, etc. was similar to that of a professional marathoner during the middle of a marathon. I applaud Laurier University and Dutch Boy!

A Government shouldn't get involved in the Drum Corps activity. It can only ruin it.

A Government shouldn't get involved in the Drum Corps activity. It can only ruin it.

Involved in the sense of funneling money their way? Could only help IMHO. Now if they feel the funds mean they can regulate - that's a whole other story.