Yamaha Tenors - Hoops/Rims too big for heads?

SteveRodrigues

The "flexible" drums issue is a simple fix--simply retighten the bolts holding the drums together. Use locking washers if you must.

yes, retightening them would obviously fix them....but I don't feel like retightening them a couple times a week. And the lock washer thing has both worked and not worked on the drums we have. It's purely poor design.

Our project received 9 quint sets from Yamaha and we have experienced the same issues. When you seat the rims with the heads, you carefully gauge common tension taking care not to over tighten any single lug... Even after you bring the heads up into your final pitch range, never over-tighten any one lug or the metal frame on the drumhead could shift along with the rim and you start over. This has been a little frustrating, but we deal with it! ;)

Note: We've had this issue with the 10-12-13-14's... Only the 6' has been friendly to us! Also, we've received replacement rims and still experienced the same issues... It seems that the compression point on the head is exposed when it shifts, causing a drop in tension at that point on the head. This gives you that pulled sound that everyone is experiencing!

Currently, I am more concerned about some of our pinstripe heads separating plys, after a very short amount of time playing on them. (esp. 10")

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same problem at madison this year. Yamaha sent us some new hoops that fit, but before that, the quick fix was to put a little bit of weather stripping on the inside-bottom part wear the hoop rests on the head. The Yamaha rep we talked to said they've been getting complaints about that recently, apparently quite a large batch of rims were made a bit too big. Like I said, the newer bunch of rims we got from Yamaha fit just fine, so you might want to try and order some from them direct.

Edited by Jofus

• 2 weeks later...

We just got a new line of Yamaha drums this summer, and I experienced the exact same thing. I was using Evans MX frosted on the 10", 12", 13", and 14" drums and an MX white on the 6".

The 6" drum was the worst for me, it was a chore just to get the rim centered on the head, then with the slightest bit of tension the rim would kick off center. It was a head eating monster. After one day of rehearsal the 6" head would be stretched unevenly to side, and impossible to tune again....I literally had one 6" head per show left in my bag at the end of tour, and they got replaced in the parking lot before the show, then had to last for practice until the next show.