DCI is moving to Indy

Not gonna lie - excited about this. I always liked Indy when we went there on tour, so I'll be happy to go out there for future years. :)

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article says finals will be in Lucas Oil Stadium, which is not a dome (or is it??).

That being said, I think this is a good move for DCI. Logistically it will be easier for corps to get there (I-70 / I-465 are good and easily accesible roads). Plus those who need to fly in can do so will a little more ease and less cost then, let's say, flying into Madison. If Indy's airport isn't cost-effective, Cincinnati Ohio's airport is only about an hour-and-a-half away, and many airlines fly in there.

The climate will also be less volatile. We all know it's too hot in Orlando, as well as rain being more probable in other locations in the south.

Indianapolis also offers some nice surroundings for tourists, and has ample hotel space to host DCI finals. I also think that office space might be a little cheaper in that area as well.

The only drawback, or complaint, I would have is that the west coast corps are slightly getting hosed again! I would favor every third or fourth year moving finals to a location a little further west (KC or Denver).

No need to worry about a dome.

Lucas Oil Stadium

If Lucas Oil Stadium is not ready in 2008, the competition will be in Memorial Stadium at Indiana University in Bloomington.

Sweet! Is it too much to hope that a show at Memorial Stadium could become a regular thing again?

No need to worry about a dome.

Lucas Oil Stadium

If you look at the picture on that page, not only is the roof retractable, but those window sides where Lucas Oil is spelled in red will be able to pull back, as well.

yay for domes.. <_<

i think DCI has officially $old out

A: It's not a dome. It's an open-air stadium that can close the roof in the event of rain.

B: DCI has sold out how? To the comfort of the fans? To the corps by providing them with easy housing in several dozen pageantry-friendly schools? (Indiana musical pageantry is HUGE.) To the corps members by giving them a state-of-the-art stadium and an audience guaranteed to be massive year-after-year? (Attendance at the RCA Dome regional just keeps getting bigger, and people don't really care for that place all that much.) To the corps managements who can plan where they will be staying year-after-year? To the pocketbooks of the fans by giving them an airport that is right next to downtown and is easy and cheap to get to? To the financial security of the organization so that it can continue to provide positive experiences to corps members into the forseeable future?

If that's selling out, we should all sell out. :)

Edited by Michael Boo

Sweet! Is it too much to hope that a show at Memorial Stadium could become a regular thing again?

Heh, I noticed that line too. A show at Memorial Stadium would be quite a treat! Maybe schedule a show there earlier in the season, like how there was a show in Madison earlier this year?

Heh, I noticed that line too. A show at Memorial Stadium would be quite a treat! Maybe schedule a show there earlier in the season, like how there was a show in Madison earlier this year?

I'd love to see (both figuratively and literally) a super-regional there, a la Preview of Champions.

DCI has sold out how? To the comfort of the fans? To the corps by providing them with easy housing in several dozen pageantry-friendly schools? (Indiana musical pageantry is HUGE.) To the corps members by giving them a state-of-the-art stadium and an audience guaranteed to be massive year-after-year? (Attendance at the RCA Dome regional just keeps getting bigger, and people don't really care for that place all that much.) To the corps managements who can plan where they will be staying year-after-year? To the pocketbooks of the fans by giving them an airport that is right next to downtown and is easy and cheap to get to? To the financial security of the organization so that it can continue to provide positive experiences to corps members into the forseeable future?

If that's selling out, we should all sell out. :)

Exactly. IMO, this is nothing but a good thing. Everyone wins.

And hey, the stadium's sponsored by Lucas Oil -- how about some of those sweet oil dollars for DCI, Lucas?