Drum Features

Due to a pet emergency, I was unable to make the Seattle show. The feedback I got was that there wasn't much drumming. Santa Clara did a little drum feature, but the Blue Knights drumline wasn't at the front hardly at all. Due to school and other things, I may not be able to attend the Theatre showing of Quarterfinals. However, I'm curious, is there any noticeable drumming out there that would make me (as a drummer) say, "I have to go see that". I really want to, but I guess I need to hear that something hot, (in drumming, or otherwise) is going on to push me over the fence. Thanks in advance.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Ummmm.... How about Cadets 3 minute long drum solo?

Due to a pet emergency, I was unable to make the Seattle show. The feedback I got was that there wasn't much drumming. Santa Clara did a little drum feature, but the Blue Knights drumline wasn't at the front hardly at all. Due to school and other things, I may not be able to attend the Theatre showing of Quarterfinals. However, I'm curious, is there any noticeable drumming out there that would make me (as a drummer) say, "I have to go see that". I really want to, but I guess I need to hear that something hot, (in drumming, or otherwise) is going on to push me over the fence. Thanks in advance.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Hey bro,

I was just at the Saturday show at DCI east and i was pretty impressed with the drummin thats goin on! Lotta good stuff out there on that night alone. I really wish i could have been there friday night. In fact, from the feedback of alot of people i know on tour, there seems to be alot of "well. -------- corps has a great drumline!" . Even from corps ranking a little bit lower overall. But saturday night...

Crossmen

Some awesome moments!! You just gotta try not to grade them against their former selves. Its totally different stylistically than early and late 90s crossmen, but pretty swingin in some places! Some minor clarity issues and a pretty unexposed quadline at times, but very fitting for whats goin on around them. They have a very nicely designed feature, and some nice exposure throughout.

JSU

I was very impressed here! Alot of simultaneous demand going here. They play on the move alot, and they have some very demanding syncopated rythms and jazz interp things that they achieve at a very high level. They def have one more level in them for madison tho so i hope they reach it! Pit plays with some real confidence! They really go after it. The battery has some great "let loose" moments.

Blue knights

They do have alot going on, but not in terms of a drum "solo". I saw alot of their media on "YouTube" and VicFirth.com (in the lot stuff) so i was expecting them to rock out in the show, but i guess most of that stuff was backfield. They had a few small moments of nice exposure, but it would have been really cool to see em come up front and just lay it down. I dont know if it would have been appropriate for their concept, but it really is a solid drumline. Show em off!

Madison Scouts

Definetly have some exposure here! alot of nice solo type passages and again, they have given their battery a great deal of visual responsiblity! Very cool stuff goin on. They rarely just stand there and play. A few times they just kinda give it to you, but most of the time they are on the run, or doin some really cool body movement during the demanding passages. I think its a great total package drumline! Snare/quads play alot of fast stuff, alot of rrr llll and even some rrrrllll with great control and clarity.

Crown.

Not the drumline to make you jump outta your chair, but you will be impressed with thier dynamic playing and musical sensitivity. Nothing to call a "ram" tho.

SCV

Jammin! Lotta "run and drum" happening here. Loved it!

BlueCoats

Man... lotta demand and exposure here. Some licks that you will just have to laugh at! Super fast and super clean rolls, some amazing bass runs even with a bass drummer out that night (hopin he makes it back! what a line!) and a great pit. They make some awesome sounds happen! Definetly dont want to miss this!!

Blue Devils

Every year they are my favorite (or one of)

This year is no different. They have such presence. They make you just go "wow....." alot! They play lots of demand. Both in segments and as an ensemble. They also have a great deal of environmental demands placed on the players. Playing from tricky formations and great spreads and still nailin the #### out of it! they also just have that "Attitude". Pure west coast! From the minute they walk out on the field they just own the place. You can see it in their body language. They hit a little dirt here and there sure, but hey, if your achieving 96% clarity with that much demand compared to lines achieving 99% with a third of that, i will take the 96%!! ANYTIME!!

So anyway, thats it. If you cant make it to any shows, or the Movie theater, i would suggest checkin out

www.youtube.com

LOTS of great media there from the lot and the field from throughout the summer.

Tony

Hey bro,

I was just at the Saturday show at DCI east and i was pretty impressed with the drummin thats goin on! Lotta good stuff out there on that night alone. I really wish i could have been there friday night. In fact, from the feedback of alot of people i know on tour, there seems to be alot of "well. -------- corps has a great drumline!" . Even from corps ranking a little bit lower overall. But saturday night...

Crossmen

Some awesome moments!! You just gotta try not to grade them against their former selves. Its totally different stylistically than early and late 90s crossmen, but pretty swingin in some places! Some minor clarity issues and a pretty unexposed quadline at times, but very fitting for whats goin on around them. They have a very nicely designed feature, and some nice exposure throughout.

JSU

I was very impressed here! Alot of simultaneous demand going here. They play on the move alot, and they have some very demanding syncopated rythms and jazz interp things that they achieve at a very high level. They def have one more level in them for madison tho so i hope they reach it! Pit plays with some real confidence! They really go after it. The battery has some great "let loose" moments.

Blue knights

They do have alot going on, but not in terms of a drum "solo". I saw alot of their media on "YouTube" and VicFirth.com (in the lot stuff) so i was expecting them to rock out in the show, but i guess most of that stuff was backfield. They had a few small moments of nice exposure, but it would have been really cool to see em come up front and just lay it down. I dont know if it would have been appropriate for their concept, but it really is a solid drumline. Show em off!

Madison Scouts

Definetly have some exposure here! alot of nice solo type passages and again, they have given their battery a great deal of visual responsiblity! Very cool stuff goin on. They rarely just stand there and play. A few times they just kinda give it to you, but most of the time they are on the run, or doin some really cool body movement during the demanding passages. I think its a great total package drumline! Snare/quads play alot of fast stuff, alot of rrr llll and even some rrrrllll with great control and clarity.

Crown.

Not the drumline to make you jump outta your chair, but you will be impressed with thier dynamic playing and musical sensitivity. Nothing to call a "ram" tho.

SCV

Jammin! Lotta "run and drum" happening here. Loved it!

BlueCoats

Man... lotta demand and exposure here. Some licks that you will just have to laugh at! Super fast and super clean rolls, some amazing bass runs even with a bass drummer out that night (hopin he makes it back! what a line!) and a great pit. They make some awesome sounds happen! Definetly dont want to miss this!!

Blue Devils

Every year they are my favorite (or one of)

This year is no different. They have such presence. They make you just go "wow....." alot! They play lots of demand. Both in segments and as an ensemble. They also have a great deal of environmental demands placed on the players. Playing from tricky formations and great spreads and still nailin the #### out of it! they also just have that "Attitude". Pure west coast! From the minute they walk out on the field they just own the place. You can see it in their body language. They hit a little dirt here and there sure, but hey, if your achieving 96% clarity with that much demand compared to lines achieving 99% with a third of that, i will take the 96%!! ANYTIME!!

So anyway, thats it. If you cant make it to any shows, or the Movie theater, i would suggest checkin out

www.youtube.com

LOTS of great media there from the lot and the field from throughout the summer.

Tony

COOL!! Thanks for the info. I think I'm going. (If I can still get a theatre ticket.)

:laugh: ^0^

I would definitely say that The Cadets have the LONGEST drum feature this year, by far.

I would definitely say that The Cadets have the LONGEST drum feature this year, by far.

And hopefully without any "drumspeak". Such a good drumline deserves to let their drums do the talking.

And hopefully without any "drumspeak". Such a good drumline deserves to let their drums do the talking.

Actually, there is amplified talking throughout the entire feature by four colorguard members. After each section plays a lick, one of the characters will say a sentence. This happens throughout the entire thing.

Actually, there is amplified talking throughout the entire feature by four colorguard members. After each section plays a lick, one of the characters will say a sentence. This happens throughout the entire thing.

lame <**>