A Night at the Movies....

This being my first time I've been able to catch DCI at Regal, I was very impressed! It's late and I'm a little tired... sitting still that long is a huge feat in my book. :P

Here are my thoughts on each corps. I'll try to keep it basic, brief, and BIASED. No punches pulled, but please read carefully before you try to flame it. Thanks! :)

Southwind- Best non-semifinalist corps in DCI history. Great year for them and I hope that tonight's season wrap-up doesn't get those kids down too much. They did a #### of a job this season and really raised the bar for the organization, as did the staff.

Capital Regiment- Holy #$%^&*, these kids are MOVING in the opener! I was shocked. Music in that tune was great. Heck, I thought that was one of the best single productions of the night. Thought the new unis work very, very well from a box perspective. Such a big step up from where they were just a few short years ago. You can tell the organization is all about challenging itself. However, I felt that the closer was an absolute bag of **** from a design standpoint. I'd have been embarassed to have done it on the field. Kudos to the members for pulling out the performance they had tonight. I hope the momentum can keep up into 2007!

Blue Stars- Welcome back to Div 1. Just one question: where was the corps that did Blue Stars: Reloaded? All I saw was some sappy patriotic show that's been done eight bazillion times. Come on. Really? Seriously? Show designers- what's your deal? I think that deserves a slap for each person who agreed to put that concept on the field. Despite that particular atrocity, these kids came to play tonight. Strong showing by the hornline especially. They'll be knocking at the Saturday night door next year for sure. It's great to see some new (old) blood back in the mix!

Crossmen- What an entertaining show. I laughed in so many places- these guys were clever, that's for sure. It was obvious that the corps dug the show they were given, especially that pit. Some nice, jazzy grooves in the hornline. Drums seemed to have a good show tonight. I don't think that the drill design is anywhere near where it should be to get them back into finals. Staff changes are a #####. I feel where they're at- been through enough myself. Once they get a solid instructional team there, Bones should be back. Until then, I'm happy with 14th place as long as they keep putting out entertaining shows like Changing Lanes.

Colts- Kind of a pity that this show was done the same year as Moto Perpetuo. Think of it as SCV Lite. Wasn't feeling it at all really, but I'd chalk that up to extremely generic brass arranging. Felt like it was pulled from a 90s drum corps textbook. The version of Ride could have been much stronger, especially considering that tune was prominent just 2 years ago with another finalist corps. If you're going to repeat a tune that had seen daylight recently, you've got to really throw down... or at least tweak the heck out of the arrangement. Once again, I think the design team let the kids down with this show. I believe they've got talent on the same level as Spirit, but they don't have the vehicle to get them there.

Spirit- Solid is my word to describe these guys. Music you can hum. Drill you can read. A concept that can be easily grasped. Good stuff. Some of the old school DCI throwbacks in the first movement were really cool. Couple little easter eggs in there. Great music selection. The flow into Blue Shades worked way better than I thought it would have. Solid 12th place corps. I felt that the design and performance were right there where they should be for a 12th place finish, which is by no means a bad thing with such a strong group of semifinalist corps.

Glassmen- The "waltz" in 5/8? Genius. And as always (well... recent years), they Glassmen's guard is hot. There. I said it. :P

I think they had a couple of wow moments, but not enough to really break into the next echelon of corps. I really like the recent trend in Glassmen shows- taking familiar, standard classical tunes and just standing back, poking them with a stick, and seeing what happens.

Madison Scouts- Ok. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge stickler for shows being demanding. I don't give a **** if it's clean if it isn't difficult. Difficulty? Yeah. They've got it. More than they can handle, but it's admirable seeing them try. I give em credit. I've never, ever, ever been a Madison fan. I don't like this show, but you can bet that I respect it. Somebody needs to buy Myron Rosander a copy of Pyware 3D java so he can see the individual step size calculations. lol And maybe he could realize that he writes drill that's nearly impossible to totally clean (see SCV 01, 03, etc.). ...but I suppose that's a tangeant for another day. The Scouts were intense tonight, but if they weren't, the show would have eaten them alive.

Boston Crusaders- I believe that Lil' John said it best when it comes to describing this show: "What?" Seriously. What were the designers thinking? Boston is better than the show they were given. It all seemed so arbitrary and aimless- just a big mass of counts, dots, and note heads on a page. Was it performed well? You betcha. I'd imagine that even the members are scratching their heads on this one. And all those props for one and a half effect moments? *sigh* Boston's gone from totally cheesy to totally out there. Please, design team, find a happy medium.

Blue Knights- To me, this seems like a better thought-out version of Boston's show. No big underlying theme, but they really succeed, through design and performance, in setting an ambient mood throughout. I'll go on record saying that this is my favorite BK show ever. The little swirling circle moment was a really effective point. Visual effect seemed to be their strong suit this year.

Carolina Crown- I think I "get" the show. I just don't think there's enough thematic material to really kind of justify what they're going for (if that makes sense). Hornline was crass during the opener, but really seemed to reel it in and deliver later on. Guard communicated their roles very well up to the box, something that definitely stood out throughout the show. Drumline wasn't a pretty sight- not sure what's happening there. That used to be one of Crown's strongpoints. It was like they were the little WGI corps. Now the horns have really stepped it up, which is good to see. Overall, a pretty solid package. Crown really seems to know what they're doing, getting a little better every year, no matter what numbers or placements might say. These guys are moving forward.

SCV- They're back! Praise the Lord, they're back! I absolutely loathed 04-05 SCV. I thought it totally went against the innovation that they were bringing, especially in the 99-03 years. Moto Perpetuo is the deal. Great little easter eggs through the show. The field exit is total Vanguard innovation. I ate it up. Great stuff.

Bluecoats- You're always toughest on the ones you love. :) I'm not sure what happened tonight, but it didn't feel like the corps I saw in Massillon just a little while ago. Ensemble vis was an issue, especially in the high brass. My buddy (who never marched DCI) who I brought with me was even calling stuff out. They've got the show. They've got the talent. My hope is that it's a repeat of last year- where we had a less than stellar quarters performance, then threw it down on Saturday night. This is definitely the year where they took out all the naysayers who've thought that Blue was a fluke in recent years. Here's to the Bluecoats tearing the house down in 07 with a medal at the very least. This show purrs. Next year needs to roar to get to the top.

Cadets- I like this show. I'm a huge Cadets hater and I like this show. Why? I dunno. Maybe it's the crazy ADD 8 year old in me. Do I have issues with some of it? Yes. Do I think they take things a bit far at times? Yes. Am I disgusted that the hornline was nothing more than a soundtrack, prop, and/or stagehand the entire show? Uh huh. But somehow, I still liked it on the whole. They were light years cleaner than Bluecoats, and I think the placement was right tonight. If Blue can step it up, Cadets won't stand a chance. If not, then chalk up a 4th place finish to the maroon team.

Phantom- Love. Those. Mellophones. This show does anger so well. The demons were slightly more feminine than they were scary, but Faust did a good job. Drill needs to be stepped up if they ever want a ring again. This show is so clean, but I don't think it's on the same level as BD and Cavaliers. I'm a little irked that they're all in the 96es.

Blue Devils- Love it. No more shot notes. No more gratuitous screaming. No more easy drill. THIS is the Blue Devils I've been waiting for the past few years. The beginning of the show is amazing. Most entertaining snareline I've ever seen in DCI. Guard sells their image well. Wow moments are programmed well into the show- great pace throughout. I'm hoping they take the title.

Cavaliers- Love the concept. Hate how thin it wears. To me, it's a case of too much of a good thing. They've clearly got all the makings of a great show, it just grates on my nerves a little bit. Dont' get me wrong- I'm still a big fan. My only other complaint is the music. Other than the little contra lick in the circle, the brass arranging is the most generic stuff to come out of Rosemont in a long time. It's just a soundtrack to their little factory. Maybe that was the point. i dunno. I just think that it should do a better job as a stand-along product that works in tandem with visual effect.

Final rant: I just have to say it... Why on earth is it that they pick cool little historical moments to show before each corps, yet the Bluecoats get their freaking 1996 show????? GAH! DCI! Are you trying to make us look bad? People at the theater were LAUGHING at the show. There's a big reason why that design staff isn't around anymore. At the very least, give us 95. Maybe 01? 87? ANYTHING but 96. (...or 99 or 92)

Great review.. Gotta say that I agree much more than disagree with everything said in the comments above..

Southwind- Having seen Southwind and the Mandarins the last 2 weeks, I don't think the judges put the right corps is in 17th place.. Southwind's show has more depth to it, and quite frankly a more difficult and achievable book.

Capital Regiment- Very nice corps.. Look forward to seeing them grow in the future.

Blue Stars- You said exactly what I was thinking... I might have respected this show more though without the narration. Talented corps.

Crossmen- Bones, my bones.. What can I say? Again, I agree with your comments here.. I'm not sure what went wrong here after a much stronger start than last year, but someone's head should probably roll.. Just my opinion.. This horn line should be much stronger than they are. That being said, I absolutely love the effort the members of the corps are putting out. You can see it in their eyes.. I met a member of the percussion section in Atlanta, and introduced myself as alumni.. He looked at me and said "I'm sorry to disappoint you" (about their competitive placement). I told him they did no such thing, and to keep performing like they are (with heart).. I credit the staff with a much better vehicle (no pun intended) for their program in '06, but blame must also be placed on the staff for the level of performance. Unacceptable that these kids hit "the wall" so early. Can't be their fault.

Colts- Totally agree with your comments..

Spirit- Loved the corps. Very powerful, but this drill design just insulted my intelligence... For Pete's sake, at least make an effort to integrate the percussion in to more than maybe 2 forms.. If you just check out how long the bass line "hangs out" behind the snares it's embarrassing.. Not too many memorable visual moments in this show altogether, although it is clean.. Solid 12th.. Good for Spirit..

Glassmen- Very enjoyable show from the Glassmen this year.. Solid 11th with a good spread..

Madison Scouts- I really disliked Madison's show in Atlanta. In Allentown it grew on me and I thought they cleaned up a lot, but then cringed last night at moments at some of the drill.. In the last 3 weeks, not once have I seen the bass line's feet in time throughout the jazz run in the opening statement for the show either... That new uniform is not very forgiving either, especially from up top.. Maybe it was just nerves, but I expect the Scouts to have a better performance tonight and Saturday. How about that guard guy that was interviewed after the show? :drool: I thought he was going to pass out.. Somebody get that kid some water!!

Boston Crusaders- Definitely a down year in the design department.. Some nice musical moments though. Thumb rolls on the concert bass and timpani.. I also love the end of their show.. Some tasty licks being thrown down by the percussion.

Blue Knights- What I can say about last night's show is that video doesn't do this program justice.. I've heard a lot of people say they're bored with this show. I just shake my head and think they aren't looking and listening enough.. There is so much going on watching it live.. Very well designed and performed.

Carolina Crown- Normally I'm not a fan of Crown, especially the last 2 years. I totally get this show though, and wonder how this can't be scoring a 90 or above.. That horn line blend is just gorgeous, and they are really moving well to a great drill design... The percussion - is another story I guess.. I didn't hear any glaring ensemble things, so it must be field performance issues? Such a shame this show isn't getting more credit though. Thank you Crown for not adding any cheesy, preachy narration or singing this year. I have a newfound respect for you...

SCV- Loved it... It was a little cleaner in Allentown IMO, but I imagine they will only get better tonight and Saturday.. Mr. Moto was too funny, and what a smooth ending to their show.. Reminded me a little of '87 Cadets exit, but that's ok.. With a cleaner controlled performance, I'd have to say watch out Bluecoats..

Bluecoats- Love the Metheny music in the beginning, but I'd have to say this is the show I "don't get" - to a certain extent.. I totally agree with Dennis DeLucia's comments about this program last night, and add one thing. While there is no doubt that this show is excellently performed musically and visually (and very clean) - other than that, what is memorable about this? Every other Top 6 corps has a list of moments that make them stand out. I just can't say that about the Bluecoats show.. It doesn't take any chances.. Not the members fault - it's a design thing.. Great performance though..

Cadets- Liked them in Atlanta better, when the singer was LOW in the mix, and the horn line had more of a role.. Now, this show gets old for me real quick - despite the overload of platforms, etc.. It's clean, and has some excellent percussive moments. That's about all I think of it though.

Phantom- Awesome, awesome show - but I agree, it's not as clean as Cavies and BD. Someone wrote on here recently that they should bring out the black uniforms for finals.. I think that is brilliant idea, and would love to see that happen.. Heck, it's more evil looking, and could clean up some things too! I like this program more than BD, but performance wise IMO Phantom is a VERY strong 3rd place. I hope they win drums..

Blue Devils- Excellent design and flawless performance.. They could win, but I don't think they will..

Cavaliers- Another incredible design.. I find myself feasting on all there is to see, and not hearing what's being played.. I hope what you say about the brass arranging isn't true, otherwise I'll be pretty disappointed when the CD's come out. Either way, I think the Championship is theirs to lose at this point... We'll see..

Just my $.02

Edited by geddy

In our theater (Sacramento, CA), the pits came across too loud in many of the performances. It was probably different in person, but there were a number of solos I couldn't hear very well because of the volume. Maybe it's where the mics are located in relation to the pit and the sound equipment.

Our theater was pretty full, and all the West Coast corps were being supported with cheers. I'd love it if they showed all the corps, but appreciate the fact that we get to watch them at all. For the most part, there were only minor glitches with the sound and picture. For us a 5 - 10 second portion of Southwind's visual disappeared, but the audio stayed on. Overall, it's great fun being able to see quarterfinals.

"Someone wrote on here recently that they should bring out the black uniforms for finals.. I think that is brilliant idea, and would love to see that happen.. "

that just gave me freakin' CHILLS :drool:

I doubt it would happen, but if they did Camp Randall would explode! :^0^:

There's an attention to detail and nuance that I felt was missing in '04 and '05, glad to see it back.

I wonder if you can elaborate more on this? For me personally, I find that SCV 2004 was much better in design, music, and execution than this year. Maybe that's because I'm having a hard time getting into this year's music. For me the music is a BIG part of the show, and I have a hard time enjoying a show unless I enjoy the music.

In NJ, the Scouts feed had a lot of problems...I came late, so I can't comment on much prior to that.

I was in NJ too, but for the whole show. There were major glitches in the feed at the beginning of the show. I felt like I was watching it on a dial-up connection. There were also 2 major incedences of signal loss, one 5 minutes long and one 3 minutues long in the beginning before most of the live performances started. Regal gave everyone free passes to make up for the inconvenience.

On a more pleasent note: When Dennis Delucia said his wife was watching in the theater in NJ, the crowd errupted in applause for her.

Colts- The version of Ride could have been much stronger, especially considering that tune was prominent just 2 years ago with another finalist corps. If you're going to repeat a tune that had seen daylight recently, you've got to really throw down... or at least tweak the heck out of the arrangement.

Sam Hazo had no problem with it in fact he even add some of his own to it. I think his exact words and may I quote " This is the Best arrangement of Ride that I have heard. Thank you Colts." The guy walked in and expected to be disapointed, Instead he was amazed and came back a second time in San Antoino. Just because The Colts didnt trash the melody of a song like most drum corps are doing now a days to does not mean you have got to rip on them for it. Take a listen to the originals. You will find that there is not much of a difference to any of ther arrangements. In fact I challange you! If you want to call out weak arrangement then call Sam Hazo Im sure he would love to hear your complaints...

Lastly, If you think that the Colts Ultimate goal was to see "Daylight" as you call it you are mistaken. The Colts got what the wanted out of the season, making finals would have just been a slight bonus.

Great review, Rubble. I agreed with almost all of it.

dcf06...you clearly misinterpreted "daylight."

I liked Colts music program a lot this year, so I suppose that's one of the very few things I disagree with from your review.

I was in NJ too, but for the whole show. There were major glitches in the feed at the beginning of the show. I felt like I was watching it on a dial-up connection. There were also 2 major incedences of signal loss, one 5 minutes long and one 3 minutues long in the beginning before most of the live performances started. Regal gave everyone free passes to make up for the inconvenience.

On a more pleasent note: When Dennis Delucia said his wife was watching in the theater in NJ, the crowd errupted in applause for her.

they gave free passes? i got no such thing. :rolleyes:

Great review.. Gotta say that I agree much more than disagree with everything said in the comments above..

Southwind- Having seen Southwind and the Mandarins the last 2 weeks, I don't think the judges put the right corps is in 17th place.. Southwind's show has more depth to it, and quite frankly a more difficult and achievable book.

Capital Regiment- Very nice corps.. Look forward to seeing them grow in the future.

Blue Stars- You said exactly what I was thinking... I might have respected this show more though without the narration. Talented corps.

Crossmen- Bones, my bones.. What can I say? Again, I agree with your comments here.. I'm not sure what went wrong here after a much stronger start than last year, but someone's head should probably roll.. Just my opinion.. This horn line should be much stronger than they are. That being said, I absolutely love the effort the members of the corps are putting out. You can see it in their eyes.. I met a member of the percussion section in Atlanta, and introduced myself as alumni.. He looked at me and said "I'm sorry to disappoint you" (about their competitive placement). I told him they did no such thing, and to keep performing like they are (with heart).. I credit the staff with a much better vehicle (no pun intended) for their program in '06, but blame must also be placed on the staff for the level of performance. Unacceptable that these kids hit "the wall" so early. Can't be their fault.

Colts- Totally agree with your comments..

Spirit- Loved the corps. Very powerful, but this drill design just insulted my intelligence... For Pete's sake, at least make an effort to integrate the percussion in to more than maybe 2 forms.. If you just check out how long the bass line "hangs out" behind the snares it's embarrassing.. Not too many memorable visual moments in this show altogether, although it is clean.. Solid 12th.. Good for Spirit..

Glassmen- Very enjoyable show from the Glassmen this year.. Solid 11th with a good spread..

Madison Scouts- I really disliked Madison's show in Atlanta. In Allentown it grew on me and I thought they cleaned up a lot, but then cringed last night at moments at some of the drill.. In the last 3 weeks, not once have I seen the bass line's feet in time throughout the jazz run in the opening statement for the show either... That new uniform is not very forgiving either, especially from up top.. Maybe it was just nerves, but I expect the Scouts to have a better performance tonight and Saturday. How about that guard guy that was interviewed after the show? :worthy: I thought he was going to pass out.. Somebody get that kid some water!!

Boston Crusaders- Definitely a down year in the design department.. Some nice musical moments though. Thumb rolls on the concert bass and timpani.. I also love the end of their show.. Some tasty licks being thrown down by the percussion.

Blue Knights- What I can say about last night's show is that video doesn't do this program justice.. I've heard a lot of people say they're bored with this show. I just shake my head and think they aren't looking and listening enough.. There is so much going on watching it live.. Very well designed and performed.

Carolina Crown- Normally I'm not a fan of Crown, especially the last 2 years. I totally get this show though, and wonder how this can't be scoring a 90 or above.. That horn line blend is just gorgeous, and they are really moving well to a great drill design... The percussion - is another story I guess.. I didn't hear any glaring ensemble things, so it must be field performance issues? Such a shame this show isn't getting more credit though. Thank you Crown for not adding any cheesy, preachy narration or singing this year. I have a newfound respect for you...

SCV- Loved it... It was a little cleaner in Allentown IMO, but I imagine they will only get better tonight and Saturday.. Mr. Moto was too funny, and what a smooth ending to their show.. Reminded me a little of '87 Cadets exit, but that's ok.. With a cleaner controlled performance, I'd have to say watch out Bluecoats..

Bluecoats- Love the Metheny music in the beginning, but I'd have to say this is the show I "don't get" - to a certain extent.. I totally agree with Dennis DeLucia's comments about this program last night, and add one thing. While there is no doubt that this show is excellently performed musically and visually (and very clean) - other than that, what is memorable about this? Every other Top 6 corps has a list of moments that make them stand out. I just can't say that about the Bluecoats show.. It doesn't take any chances.. Not the members fault - it's a design thing.. Great performance though..

Cadets- Liked them in Atlanta better, when the singer was LOW in the mix, and the horn line had more of a role.. Now, this show gets old for me real quick - despite the overload of platforms, etc.. It's clean, and has some excellent percussive moments. That's about all I think of it though.

Phantom- Awesome, awesome show - but I agree, it's not as clean as Cavies and BD. Someone wrote on here recently that they should bring out the black uniforms for finals.. I think that is brilliant idea, and would love to see that happen.. Heck, it's more evil looking, and could clean up some things too! I like this program more than BD, but performance wise IMO Phantom is a VERY strong 3rd place. I hope they win drums..

Blue Devils- Excellent design and flawless performance.. They could win, but I don't think they will..

Cavaliers- Another incredible design.. I find myself feasting on all there is to see, and not hearing what's being played.. I hope what you say about the brass arranging isn't true, otherwise I'll be pretty disappointed when the CD's come out. Either way, I think the Championship is theirs to lose at this point... We'll see..

Just my $.02

I saw the Blue Knights 4 times. They had some nice visual moves and a mature sounding brass and percussion line. But for some of us, musically they were boring beyond belief. But that just goes to show you that some people's taste in music can be very different.

Edited by X DM