DCI Charter Members

It is interesting to note that all 13 original DCI members competed at the 1971 CYO Nationals in Boston, taking 13 of the top 14 places. The 13th place corps was the St. Rita's Brassmen, who seem to be the one corps that could have been a charter member that wasn't chosen. The Kilties had an off year in 1971, and they weren't on the list either.

It is interesting to note that all 13 original DCI members competed at the 1971 CYO Nationals in Boston, taking 13 of the top 14 places. The 13th place corps was the St. Rita's Brassmen, who seem to be the one corps that could have been a charter member that wasn't chosen. The Kilties had an off year in 1971, and they weren't on the list either.

Brian,

Interesting take on St. Rita's, as they were certainly amongst the elite in '71. I seem to recall there was some friction between Carmen Cluna (their Director) and the rest of the DCI founding "compact", that led to them not being included. Hard to think tha anyone would choose to opt out these days!

Just think 7 of the founding corps are not around anymore bummer

I only counted 4;

Argonne Rebels, Blue Rock, De La Salle Oaklands, and 27th Lancers.

A. Kingsmen is alive as an Alumni corps

Blessed Sac is now a very good WGI unit

Barry,

You're so right about Carmen Cluna and DCI. He was the original rebel against DCI.

The Brassmen would easily have made DCI finals in 1972, had they attended. They also stood a good chance of making finals in '73 but Cluna generally stayed away from the DCI shows. That was frustrating for drum corps fans in those days.

The Brassmen were total GE show innovators in the early 1970's, and they often paid the price for their antics with heavy point penalties, for using fire extinguishers and other such equipment as part of their field show.

I only counted 4;

Argonne Rebels, Blue Rock, De La Salle Oaklands, and 27th Lancers.

A. Kingsmen is alive as an Alumni corps

Blessed Sac is now a very good WGI unit

I think you are confusing two..

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from newark NJ have a very actice alumni corps now.