DCI finals review

Spirit....a solid job, and I felt they had an entertaining book with some good jazz phrasing.....good show...

Amazing Bari soloist!

Crown.....marvelous brass line/sound/arrangements.....great intonation, blend, balance, and solid dynamic range

Agree 100%! Beautiful brass line. Best bari line in DCI in my opinion.

A comparison of the reactions during and after the season of the Cadets program vs. the Blue Knights program.

Let me offer a few thoughts regarding the polarizing reactions these two programs have engendered during and at the end of this past season. Commenters report that they either "loved" or "hated" the Cadets show, if you strip away the politically correct varnish most have placed on their comments. In contrast, commenters report either "understanding" or "not getting" the Blue Knights show. My belief is that both shows accomplished exactly what they were intended to do. The Cadet's sequel show was supposed to grab and engage the audience in a very primal way with its expression of the imagery of the Alice in Wonderland story. The Blue Knights show was intended to challenge the audience to deal with the dissonance of the musical line as composed by Samuel Barber while conveying the essential order and structure within this musical line. Both shows did exactly what they were intended to do. And the two different levels of reaction (love vs. hate and understanding vs. confusion) were exactly appropriate for each.

One other thought--the judges were able to evaluated both shows appropriately, i.e., within the context of what each show was trying to convey. Perhaps there is some hope for this most maligned of group of individuals!

DrGene

A drum corps person before DCI