Direction of DCI...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

So far it sounds like I stand (almost) alone in my fear of the death of Drum corps as we new it for a while. But who knows...

If in 5 years DCI has not merged with one of the band organizations, and smaller corps still do well in DC, I'll buy everyone who disagreed with me here a beer!!!! Otherwise you owe me one ;)

Again, I believe some in DCI have a different agenda, and that is changing the activity to be more profitable for a few. It is no longer for "the kids".

I have to be honest and say that I am disappointed that not many here could actually give an educated response, instead of just making fun. I do find this a serious issue, but,.. who am I.

B.

Don't worry Barry.

It's not that there are some who can't give an educated response it's that those who want to constantly get flamed and taunted on this board cause most on here want DCI to be BOA from what I read alot..so what's the point? If we try to express our opinion we get doused with gas and fire, one of the main reasons I haven't even been posting that much on this forum anymore. I just come on to read alot, cause when I do post my opinions they get slammed on here by some who don't seem to care what we think about the direction or the way things are going. They just seem to think we're old farts who can't move on with the changes yada, yada, yada. When that is NOT the case at all, I just see this totally moving into a different direction then what I grew up loving. Yes I know change happens and I can accept many changes but when it starts morphing into band...well..that's not change but some of the same old thing. It's not innovation either but ways to make profits.

I agree that you are right, that the end result is a merge with BOA thus the move to INDY and other recent developments. I don't see anything wrong with a permanent place for DCI to hold finals but I think the move was a little premature in not trying to find out the acoustics in the stadium. But hey so was having somebody run a sound board in drum corps.

I can understand DCI's reason behind having a permanent place, with it being harder to find venue's and the costs involved, that is probably one of the smartest moves they've made in a long time. But personally I wouldn't mind seeing different venues if and when I go to a show again.

One thing that I wonder about is this recent merge with ESPN. While I'm a big sports fan and love ESPN, I wonder about the "business" aspect of the merging, like on finals night on dci.org, no showing of clips on the season pass cause ESPN "owns" the rights (or so that is what I thought I read on here somewhere). Why can't the other corps get a piece of the action here in this broadcast if this TRULY is for the kids and "NOT FOR PROFIT".

Regardless of the snickering comments above, ALOT of folks agree with you. There has been ENDLESS discussion here about the subject, and I guess people are just tired of commenting over & over about it.

But again, ALOT of people are concerned with the direction of the activity, as directed by the overlords at DCI.

YAWN...

Overlords of DCI = Member Corps Directors

Small local corps = Many that unfortunately should have been strictly developmental and not challenged to tour and perform every evening.

When we all look at this 20 years from now, it will be less about DCI and more about rising fuel costs that cut the number of competing corps.

Local circuits = a show increasingly consisting of less than top caliber performances from small local corps (see small local corps above). These were shows that cost local organizers several thousands of dollars (even on a DCM level for instance), and were always threatened by inclement weather.

Let's see...DCI on ESPN2. Let me know what bit##es you have about that?

Bb horns = wonderful move. More accessibility to new marching members.

Amplification = corps that used it wisely this year were rewarded...those that used it for karaoke...slid in the standings.

How about theaters selling out around the country for quarterfinals? Another thing to bit#h about?

Every top 12 corps reported larger attendance at audition camps last year.

More people saw DCI last year live and on tv than any other year except....oh...maybe this year!

What is it we don't like....that we don't have the freakin' tick system???

There will always be a place for the Madison Alumni Corps Project, Kilties, etc. But, it is no longer in the mainstream of DC. Neither is Cadets or BK show from this year (IMHO).

OK, enough...I have to keep reminding myself that it's over for this year.

Tom Brace

DCI is trying to go mainstream, get the attention of reg. people that wouldn't normally even bother with Drum Corps. I think it could be both good and bad for the organization. If they go too far...older fans may think they are 'selling out'. Then again...there's always someone or something that's going to be #####ed about.