South St. Paul MN Aug. 20th Show

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ketie Jones -- MBI alum, Bluecoats baritone -- did a terrific job singing the national anthem. So refreshing her version was all about the song, not the singer. She did a beautiful job!

I guess everyone is still resting up from the big weekend.

I bet there was a big party Saturday night.

Looking at the difference in scores from Saturday to Sunday, I would guess that there just may have been a little partying going on out there.

:D

Looking at the difference in scores from Saturday to Sunday, I would guess that there just may have been a little partying going on out there.

:D

Actually, Glen...most of the corps had great performances. Ours on Sunday was much improved from Saturday, especially in brass, but the judges played musical chairs and switched captions. I think it had some effect on the outcome.

We had a midnight curfew, and it was followed. Everybody was pretty much crashed by then. Something about a 14-hr bus ride diminishes ones excitement to party.

Edited by radiosteele

We didn't have a curfew, but then again many of us were on a bus... At times the question was asked, "So, when is the bus coming to pick us up? I'm tired."

Personally, I didn't really get to see the performances on Saturday so I can't say whether the shows were much improved come Sunday.

I did, however, get a chance to catch a couple of shows from the stands and was very impressed. This was my first drum corps show to actually watch from the stands... I'm just a kid from Texas who started knocking the rust off his chops because a friend of a friend of my wife's mentioned he was in a corps and they had holes to fill...

And to be a part of this last weekend. And to share the field with the corps that I saw this weekend. Definitely an honour.

Actually, Glen...most of the corps had great performances. Ours on Sunday was much improved from Saturday, especially in brass, but the judges played musical chairs and switched captions. I think it had some effect on the outcome.

First of all, I want to be very clear that I'm not in any way bashing anybodys performance. I was at the beach all weekend about 1,000 miles from these shows and have no idea what anyone did. If you thought/think I was/am bashing, I apologize.

I just looked a little closer at the recaps and quite frankly I'm a stunned. I see what you're saying about the judges flipping around a little, but it's not uncommon for a judge to do a different caption at a different show. I know most of the names and they are all fully qualified to judge whatever captions they're assigned.

That being said, here's where I start to get lost.

I'm just going to use your corps percussion scores because it's what I know best, and it should be pointed out that this was the ONLY caption that had the same panel for both shows.

Two weeks ago in Rockmart, you got a 31.7 in percussion. Pretty respectable. I am quite certain that your percussion section busted their ##### for the past two weeks at rehearsal as we all do. Two weeks later, and two weeks before championships, you get a 23.7, dropping 8 points in percussion. 8 points....in a single caption!!! That is un-#######-believable!!!!

I know you guys had some holes this weekend, but there is NO WAY you should drop that much. You say your Sunday performance was better than Saturday, and I have no reason to doubt you on that. In all honesty, I can't imagine how a corps possibly could BE bad enough to justify an 8 point drop in a single caption at this point in the season. How is your percussion staff supposed to go back to the line after critique with numbers like that? "Here's the payoff for all your hard work, guys."

And the worst part is that these are your August seeding scores. You guys are likely going to go on a few slots earlier in prelims because of these scores.

I gotta tell you.....on the field, my corps is going to fight your corps tooth and nail for a finals spot.

But sitting here at the computer, I sincerely feel badly for you guys.

Stay tough and keep working hard.