Brass Mouthpieces

Piper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you tell me where to get one of those!!!!

and where can i go to pay 300 bucks for a mouthpiece that says to make me SCREAM!!!!! like maynard, only to find out iv been conned and now have a nice big metal statue on my desk and rice and beans for dinner for the next 2 months

You know what'll make you scream like Maynard?

..................practicing

If your chops are inefficient, practicing will only take you so far.

I think it's a pretty rediculous standard, especially for trumpet. People have different facial structures and require different diameters. Now, specifying that everbody be on a C cup, for example, wouldn't be so bad; but, a 3-diameter might be too large for some people, or too small for others.

Exactly. Read Mr. Schilke's classic "clinic" on mouthpiece and horn physics. The vibrating air column extends all the way down into the lungs. The cavity of one's mouth can affect sound far more than mouthpiece (seems especially in baritones), and proper mouthpiece selection can change whatever individual characteristics an individual may have to better match the rest of the section.

It's easier for staff to just prescribe the same for everyone. Would be better to take kids individually, listen to their playing and PRESCRIBE something to help them blend best, with consideration to chops development. That said, I'll take exception in saying the Helleberg just plain works great for almost every tuba player, and why everyone copies the original.