Brass Mouthpieces

Piper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Ridiculous.

You use a mouthpiece that helps you do the job that needs to get done. If a trumpet player is playing on a shilke 6 1/2 AL in a hornline like phantom's than he is not going to blend in, but that does not mean that you put the whole trumpet section on a a Bach 1.5C.

"Making players use the exact same kind of mouthpiece is like having everyone in in your marching band wear the same size show" - Keith Johnson from [/u]The Art of Trumpet Playing[/i]

I never said there wouldnt be different mouthpieces. Besides, yes Regiment does say a 1.5c or a 3c but there are exceptions as there should be, buddy. Just like any drum corps out there.

I never said there wouldnt be different mouthpieces. Besides, yes Regiment does say a 1.5c or a 3c but there are exceptions as there should be, buddy. Just like any drum corps out there.

Were buddies? Cool

You did say on your previous post:

"Actually if you want a hornline who will blend well together you need a standard for mouthpieces"

Also. Some drum corps DO say the members must play on a specific type of mouthpiece and there are no exceptions. When BD played on G Blugles this was the case and I am pretty sure that it still is.

I know that at one point, they had the sops on Claude Gordon 3's.

Medium shallow cup; flat, narrow rim; size 22 throat (standard is a MUCH smaller size 27).

Yeah that's right. Baritone and Euphonium had standardized MP's as well but I can remember what they were. I played mello and I thought it was great becuase it felt like a trumpet mouthpiece. But, those people that were converting over from french horn really hated it becuase it was nothing like a horn mouthpiece. As far as the sop mouthpiece goes (the Claude Girdon 3) it was terrible. I dont know how they sounded as good as they did on them.

This whole topic kinda reminds me of a funny story from 03, when my section leader just got some 80 dollar mouthpiece in the mail a couple weeks into all days. Literally less than 5 minutes into our first warmup after he got it, our caption head comes over and says "you can't use that, go get your other one," leaving my section leader to ##### for the rest of the day "WTF, I ate nothing but Ramen for a week so I could afford that thing."