Mouthpiece differences

PhantomFanT10

Dennis Wick had a book on trumpet and trombone that had a whole chapter on the aspects of mouthpieces and their dimensions and attributes.

I recently bought a 1C and tried a 1 1/2C in the process. If you're looking for a boost in range and endurance, you'll need to go with something with a little more extreme of a difference than those two pieces. IMO they were basically the same mouthpiece, just one felt more stable/comfortable and had a nicer sound. For me anyway.

What, then, would you suggest?

I play on a 5C now, and I'm just looking for sometihng that'll give me more endurance and make high notes easier, for marching only.

I'll still be using my 5C for concert stuff, but a pep rally AND a game AND n hour and a half band class rehearsal before all that can blow your lips quick on a friday.

I would recommend a Warburton 4md... It has a deeper cup but the shape of it makes it a smig easier in the upper register.

With Warburton, you also select a bacbore size too. The best is to call them for recomendation. They are very nice people to work with and are very quick. I went with a 5 for my jazz and marching, 10* for my legit work. Each number for the backbore has a option for the *. Basicly it has to do with the slot of the notes. I prefered the * backbore for legit work, the notes sound smooth on the scale while the regular pops out more.

For legit work go no smaller than an 8 and no larger than a 10. 8 is like a standard Bach.

What, then, would you suggest?

I play on a 5C now, and I'm just looking for sometihng that'll give me more endurance and make high notes easier, for marching only.

I'll still be using my 5C for concert stuff, but a pep rally AND a game AND n hour and a half band class rehearsal before all that can blow your lips quick on a friday.

Bear in mind that the 1C is BIGGER than the 5C, much bigger. The bigger mouthpieces makes it easier to play loud, at the cost of endurance and range. Although bigger mouthpieces have a great sound and make it easier to generate a sound when your lips are fat and swollen after playing loud. With a bigger mouthpiece, it's generally easier to hit the lower notes, and harder to hit the higher notes.

Coming from a 5C, if you must go bigger, you might like the 3C better. If you're looking for the attributes you mentioned, you might want to go smaller, or even shallower.

I went to a 1C from a Schilke 15B, you might like that piece. It's fairly shallow, but not too shallow. But for the attributes above you might be looking for something in the Schilke ##a4a type category. Maybe a Schilke 13a4a or 6a4a. I've never been a fan of a tight backbore, but I'm a low brass guy. I got a 13a4a myself, but didn't really like it as my accuracy went out the window, and it was one of those pieces you have to learn how to play on. It did have advantages in the range and endurance category. I just didn't want to pay the price to learn how to play on it, given the time that I had/wanted to devote towards the non lowbrass side of things.

This site is usually good about consolidating manufacturer's published specs.

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/pages/pop...ch_trumpet.html

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/pages/pop...ke_trumpet.html

Hope this helps.

Bach mouthpieces were developed as custom models and later numbered, so each has a unique rim shape and cup. By looking at the numbering system, you would be incorrect to assume that 7C, 5C, 3C, 1C, etc... are all related mouthpieces of a different cup diameter.

Anyone looking to get more endurance and range via buying a new mouthpiece will join a countless group of frustrated trumpet players. The best way to gain range and endurance is to find a great teacher and practice, practice, practice. Range and endurance come from a well developed embrouchure. The most important aspect of a mouthpiece should be finding a sound that you can proud to call your own.

Bigger is not always better when it comes to trumpet mouthpieces. If everyone is directed at large, deep cupped mouthpieces like Bach 1C, 1 1/2C, etc.... then only players who are equipped to play these pieces will be successful. Many players struggle on mouthpieces that are too big. Again a teacher can be extremely helpful in this regard.

Jeff

Thanks for all your help, guys! The bigger mouthpieces lend themselves better to my playing just because of my lips and facial structure; it's harder for me to squeak something out on a smaller piece. I am testing the 1 1/2 C for the next few days but I have a feeling that I will be sticking to the 1C for some reason.

Anyone looking to get more endurance and range via buying a new mouthpiece will join a countless group of frustrated trumpet players. The best way to gain range and endurance is to find a great teacher and practice, practice, practice. Range and endurance come from a well developed embrouchure. The most important aspect of a mouthpiece should be finding a sound that you can proud to call your own.

:bleah::worthy::laugh::laugh::laugh::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I remember a "study" by a few well- known professional trumpet players a while back. I don't remember who or when of course....

What they did was a blind study to see which mouthpiece they liked better.

They would say things like "I liked the way #1 was more free-blowing than #4," or "#2 allowed me more flexability than #3," and so fourth. They went on testing mouthpieces for a while only to find out when it was all over that they had each been given their own mouthpieces 5 times.

Yes people will do better on one mouthpiece vs. another, but it's more important to pick one that's comfortable and you sound good on in the middle register. Then play on it for a while. Like for a couple weeks. Get used to it. Then make adjustments if there's something lacking.

Mouthpieces will always be a compromise between sound, range, pitch, and endurance.