Seattle Cascades

oc1

The area has supported 2 D1 corps in the past.

R.I.P.

Marauders, Longview, WA

&

Spartans, Vancouver, WA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The area has supported 2 D1 corps in the past.

R.I.P.

Marauders, Longview, WA

&

Spartans, Vancouver, WA

True, but that was some time ago. I don't see a problem with the talent pool available in the area. I'm more concerned with the financial and volunteer resources that these corps will be competing for. Today’s corps need to generate significantly more revenue to operate effectively and they rely on many dedicated volunteers that are usually difficult to recruit. I don’t know if these two organizations will be able squeeze enough of these precious resources out of this area.

Then show some support, and be a little more optimistic about the situation. I know, it is hard to do that right now, but you know what I mean.

I promise to show as much support as the Director, Program Director and Staff have

showed to OC.

Yes they still are the Seattle Cascades in name, I will give you that. The Board is still based

in Seattle as well, yes you are right.

Now here are facts.

The Director was 3 weeks ago the OC Director.

The Program Director was 3 weeks ago the OC program Director.

They are using the facility that OC used for every Camp last year.

As a matter of fact, I've heard that the OC truck and all the equipment are still there.

It is also well known that many OC Members from last year have personally been contacted

by last years OC staff about moving to the Cascades. If you question this, please just ask them.

Face it, the Seattle Board saw that they were losing momentum to OC and did not want to

be 2nd place and did something about it. Its called a hostile takeover and if this wasn't about Youth Organizations, it would be tolerated. But somewhere along the way it became about a

group of adults and a Board of Directors.

I don't want any BODs being blamed for having to make tough decisions and I am not COMPLETELY on the inside of this one. I like everyone involved and have worked for both corps at the same time, but, I don't want bad rumors hurting anyone.

Just a simple fact - From John Freeman & Mike Leone: The SC BOD did not approach Mike & Lewis.

This is my understanding unless they communicated it odd to me & I misunderstood.

-kurt

I promise to show as much support as the Director, Program Director and Staff have

showed to OC.

Yes they still are the Seattle Cascades in name, I will give you that. The Board is still based

Now here are facts.

As a matter of fact, I've heard that the OC truck and all the equipment are still there.

It is also well known that many OC Members from last year have personally been contacted

by last years OC staff about moving to the Cascades. If you question this, please just ask them.

Face it, the Seattle Board saw that they were losing momentum to OC and did not want to

be 2nd place and did something about it. Its called a hostile takeover and if this wasn't about Youth Organizations, it would be tolerated. But somewhere along the way it became about a

that's by far the most convincing explaination i've heard.

showed to OC.

Now here are facts.

that's by far the most convincing explaination i've heard.

I don't know how convincing it is... However, I am aware members of both corps being contacted by certain individuals regarding this (well before the 2006 Cascades staff were informed). As I said, lets not blame any BOD. Seattle and Oregon Crusders were not even in the same division to be loosing any momentum to each other. I agree with what Kurt Jull said above, as well as with the information I have heard first hand from reliable sources in the "uppy ups" of the whole situation. The Cascades BOD did not approach Mike Leone or Lewis Norfleet, and that is fact, believe it, imagine it, and take it for what it is worth!

Now, let us go back to supporting some of the Northwests best kept secrets! Oregon Crusaders, Seattle Cascades, and Spokane Thunder!

showed to OC.

Now here are facts.

Wow... just wow... some of the most ignorant comments I have heard in some time. From my perspective, I almost think of the exact opposite. You have to realize that the Cascades have been having 'issues' the last few years. Whether it be the corps director situation, the financial situation, ETC.... there have been things going on there. I believe that Mike and Lewis decided to "Take Over" as you put it in order to help the Cascades.

The foundation for the Oregon Crusaders has been set somewhat, and they are moving to the Cascades because they know they can get a handle on things and help the organization grow instead of continuing to fall.

Please don't make such outrageous statements about this issue... There are a lot more things in the last couple of years that have been leading to this. I support both groups and hope that both can be prosperous moving forward.

~Jon Supnick

- 02-03 Cascades

- 04 Blue Devils

- 06 Oregon Crusaders

Further evidence to ponder regarding the future of the OC. Check out the event calendars on the Cascades and OC respective Web sites. Enough said.

OC

2006-2007 Camp Schedule

Auditions

November 11th 2006 @ Evergreen HS 9am-5pm

Camps

All Camps start at 8pm on friday and end at 4pm on Sunday.

Dec. 8th, 9th, 10th @ Hockinson HS

Jan. 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th @ Hockinson HS (Camp Ends Monday)

Feb. 9th, 10th, 11th @ Hockinson HS

March. 2nd, 3rd, 4th @ Hockinson HS (Brass & Drums Only)

April 13th, 14th, 15th @ Hockinson HS (Brass & Drums Only)

April 27th, 28th, 29th @ Hockinson HS

May 11th, 12th, 13th @ Hockinson HS

May 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th @ TBA (Camp ends Monday with a potluck for parents and friends)

Cascades

Auditions Nov 11th Vancouver, WA 9am-4pm

Camp Schedule Dec 8-10 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts

Jan 12-15 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts

Feb 9-11 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts

Mar 9-11 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie WP and WG Show

Apr 13-15 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie U of O Concert Band Festival and WGI

Apr 27-29 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts

May 11-13 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts

May 25-28 Hockinson HS, Bush Prairie No Conflicts except State Track Meets

All Days TBA TBA

Edited by Timing Gun

It is the Director & Program Coordinator who determine these schedules.

With the pre-planning & healthy organization of Mike & Lewis... of course these schedules would be the same.

Putting a schedule together, you make the best decisions with the least amount of conflicts. If I was a band director, I would want the corps I teach to rehearse at my facilities AND scades have had 40%ish of their members from Oregon/SW Washington since 2001. No surprise there.

I agree with some earlier post. Don't forget that some people out there, within SC, consider this a hostile takeover of "their" corps, it does go both ways.

Mike & Lewis are extremely talented & will do well, no doubt about that.

But OC is not only Mike & Lewis, there are plenty of great people who have contributed to make this corps great.

I guess all I'm saying is be supportive of both. Ask questions, but don't attack. Us Northwesties want both corps.

-kurt