Skyliners spotted in NY Cosmos documentary

I was watching a documentary about the NY Cosmos on ESPN. About an hour into the show, they panned past the Skyliners on the side of the field getting ready to perform. Sometime in 1975-76-77. Had to rewind and slo-mo a few times.

Brought back memories of playing at a Cosmos game in 1984. The crowd didn't seem to be interested in the performance, but I assume it was a paid gig...

Anyone have any good stories about playing at pro sports events?

Edited by DaveTenor

I was watching a documentary about the NY Cosmos on ESPN. About an hour into the show, they panned past the Skyliners on the side of the field getting ready to perform. Sometime in 1975-76-77. Had to rewind and slo-mo a few times.

Brought back memories of playing at a Cosmos game in 1984. The crowd didn't seem to be interested in the performance, but I assume it was a paid gig...

Is there anyway to view it again? Or any possible website to view the movie?

I'll see if I can figure out a way to get it from my dvr to youtube. It's only a couple of seconds...

Is there anyway to view it again? Or any possible website to view the movie?

Funny you say that, Dave, because I viewed the same documentary and saw the band/drum corps on the sidelines. I was looking for the St. Matthias Blue Max Drum & Bugle Corps because we had performed at Giants Stadium for the exhibition game that the Cosmos help to honor Pele. We have pictures of him sitting next to my dad on the sidelines, which must have been after the game.

Oh - yes - here it is:

1997: "As a proper farewell to Pele, the Cosmos played the star’s former Brazilian Club, Santos, at Giants Stadium. Pele played one half for each team ultimately winning for the Cosmos 2-1 before 75,646 people." from http://www.nyc.gov/html/sports/html/cosmos_history.html.

I was also interested to see some local soccer heroes who played in the Cosmos and were from my neighborhood. That was a very exciting time.

Doreen

Edited by DSGMUSIC

There is also one point in the documentary where they mention "american-izing" the sport with cheerleaders and half-time entertainment. At that point they show a split screen of cheerleaders and either the Caballeros or Muchachos.

I don't know about 75-77 but I remember that in 1978 I was on the sidelines with Sky just before halftime at a Cosmos game. Cosmos scored a goal just before the corps did their exibition and I never heard such an awsome roar from the crowd.

As for the shortness of the clip... If the shot was in 78 when I was on the sideline, the camera might have broke when it hit me! :sshh:

That is too cool. I love old time sky. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a link to the video on YouTube:

thanks dave, hope all is well