Audition Pieces

Mersinger3

So i have me a problem, I cant figure out what i should do for my audition on baritone. i need a lyrical and technical piece , i havent been playing all too long. i want something semi easy but also very capable of showing emotion through the playing. if anyone could help a brother out, ill reward you with prizes of the smiley kind!

-Dylan :doh:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have me a problem, I cant figure out what i should do for my audition on baritone. i need a lyrical and technical piece , i havent been playing all too long. i want something semi easy but also very capable of showing emotion through the playing. if anyone could help a brother out, ill reward you with prizes of the smiley kind!

-Dylan :doh:

Dylan,

There is a section in this guide that provides advice for selecting audition pieces (if the choice is yours). Take a look.

"Semi-easy" is a very wise decision on your part (or on anyone's part).

The capacity for emotion in an audition piece is almost a non-issue, so don't stress it (some dynamic changes are fine, but don't get carried away).

A lot of bari players, if they don't use a concerto or other solo piece, use an etude out of the Rochut or Blazevich (sp?) books. You can also take any lyrical section out of a concert piece you have. Don't worry about length, as you'll only have around a minute anyways. You could also just do a flexibility exercise (if you're good at them).

Hope any of this helps,

F. G.

Well , im not going to march this summer , because i dont want to get there being only a freshmen in highschool , 15 , and not being , i belive , good enough . so im gonna sit the summer out and practice like mad. but you best belive , 2008 is gonna be my year. i hope to be done with the arban book i have by then , and be compitent at the isntrument , being this is my first year on it ,being a former srting bassist and trombone player.

but keep the ideas coming , i wanna be able to haver the chops to make the corps next year

Even if you're not gonna march, that doesn't mean you can't go audition. What better way to get some feedback before you do the real audition for next year. Just make sure you tell them up front that you're not actually gonna march this season. Before you make the cut and someone else gets cut. They might even have some copies of the audition material to give you to practice for next season. As well as other suggestions.

I've personally never auditioned for a corps. Junior, or all-age. So I couldn't really tell you what it encompasses these days. I did audition for an honor band when I was about your age. Didn't make it one year, did make it the very next year. And it wasn't my playing ability that go me in, it was my sight reading ability. Not that there's much call for sight reading in most corps related venues.

that madison etude for trumpet looks like a wild beast

I agree. The ending is really hard. So freaking hard.....I can't believe there are people that good (actually yes I do, but I think of those people as professionals.....)

It's not as hard as it looks. hard, yes, but not that hard. Once you sit and look at it, its not as bad as it seems. It s fun.

It's not that hard. Arban book type cornet solo. Reminds me of All-State tryouts in High School. Also, I was a monster a Cornet solos. Hand me a trumpet concerto I stunk but I could play the snot out of a Herbert L. Clarke solo.

If you break it down, it is not that hard at all. Arpegios and repeated fingering patterns.

The fingerings aren't what I meant. The fact that they are 32nd notes and even at that tempo, they are still difficult. That is what worries me. :)