Are there any book about colorguard?

flagguy

Hi,

A stuednt of mine is doing some sort of speech at college and is asking me if I know of any books about guard. I don't does anyone else?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

A stuednt of mine is doing some sort of speech at college and is asking me if I know of any books about guard. I don't does anyone else?

Thanks,

Mike

Corps Style Marching, by Dale F. Hopper © 1977 C.L. Barnhouse Company Music Publishers, Oskaloosa, IA

pg. 77-92, "Color Guard" by Joseph Roman

Championship Auxiliary Units, by Rober E. Foster, et al. © 1979 Alfred Publishing, Sherman Oaks, CA

pg. 85-210, "Pt. 3: The Flag Corps" by Bob Duffer, pg. 211-256, "Pt. 4: The Rifle Line" by Kriag A. Cowles

Marching Band Director: A Master Planning Guide, by Bill Raxsdale © 1985 Jenson Publications, New Berlin, WI

pg. 48-52, "Color Guard Audition"

I have these sitting on my bookshelf. I also had another published by Jenson (now Hal Leonard) called "Color Guard Manual of Arms." Lost it when I moved to Tulsa. Call the Texas Tech University Library at (806) 742-2261, or visit the website. They have a few dozen books on their shelves that deal with drum corps, marching and color guard. I remember a few that were really awesome.

(Used to live in Lubbock. Go TECH!)

Corps Style Marching, by Dale F. Hopper © 1977 C.L. Barnhouse Company Music Publishers, Oskaloosa, IA

pg. 77-92, "Color Guard" by Joseph Roman

Championship Auxiliary Units, by Rober E. Foster, et al. © 1979 Alfred Publishing, Sherman Oaks, CA

pg. 85-210, "Pt. 3: The Flag Corps" by Bob Duffer, pg. 211-256, "Pt. 4: The Rifle Line" by Kriag A. Cowles

Marching Band Director: A Master Planning Guide, by Bill Raxsdale © 1985 Jenson Publications, New Berlin, WI

pg. 48-52, "Color Guard Audition"

Wow, I can't imagine that those would be relevent today.

A couple of years ago, I ran across an article in the Instrumentalist about color guard. It was written by David Baker in 1985 or so. He was one of the great names in color guard at the time, but it was sort of laughable today. One of his suggestions was to have the guard use frilly parasols and promenade around the field.

Wow, I can't imagine that those would be relevent today.

A couple of years ago, I ran across an article in the Instrumentalist about color guard. It was written by David Baker in 1985 or so. He was one of the great names in color guard at the time, but it was sort of laughable today. One of his suggestions was to have the guard use frilly parasols and promenade around the field.

Relevance is a good point. I like reading the stuff that was published in the 70's and 80's to give me a little historical perspective. Though the aesthetic of color guard has changed, we still use the same technical language people like David Baker created.